Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 845 times)

Premier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions
« on: August 13, 2006, 05:23:00 pm »

After playing a bit more with the game, I have the following suggestions:

- A list of professions displaying the number of dwarves capable of performing them. So, for example, it would look something like:

Mining - 5
Carpentry - 3
Crafting - 4
Farming (Field) - 1

A simple glance at the list, and you'd have a general idea of how many dwarves have the various professions enabled. Would be very useful, say, when the flood renders new land arable, and you want to figure out quickly whether you have enough farming dwarves to take advantage of it.

- Inventory for dwarves. If I hit "u", select a dwarf, then hit "v", I can see how many items he possesses, but not what those items are. Would be very useful when a bunch of Miner-classified dwarves arrive with the immigrant, and I want to know how many of them actually has a pick.

Premier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 05:27:00 pm »

Oh, and another suggestion: The ability to look into barrels and bins. I don't know if this option's already in the game, I personally couldn't find it. It drives me crazy when all the food reserves get put into a few barrels and bins, and I can't tell how much do I have of what. The general overview "z" screen does give some limited information (units of meat/seeds/plants/etc.), but I find that unhelpful. When I set a farm plot to produce, say, Pig's Tail that year, I want to know whether I actually HAVE any Pig's Tail seeds in my barrels to sow with.

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »

re: finding no. of food items.

Go to the Kitchen submenu of the "z" screen for an accurate breakdown of how much cookable stuff you have, which includes seeds.

To find what's in a particular bin or barrel use "k" to go to its space and press enter.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:47:00 pm »

Hit v to bring up a scrolling cursor, bring it near the dwarves in question, then press i to view inventory. Sometimes the item names go off the screen; you can scroll to it with "+" and "-" and hit enter to view its whole name and a description which usually doesn't tell you much at this point.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 07:07:00 pm »

You can also use tab to see more of the names.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!