Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vampires vs. war dogs  (Read 5195 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
Re: Vampires vs. war dogs
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »

Sure. I suppose that it's ridiculous to expect it to make sense, because it's just magic. (That's one of the reasons why I'd wished that Toady had kept magic out of the game. Most things in the game make sense, and that's something I really like about DF.)

I suppose I could devise a narrative for a vampire fort. But I'm not much of a fan of the whole "Twilight" thing. Vampires are fine as monsters, but they're hard to identify with, at least for me. Booze-guzzling dwarves, on the other hand,...   :)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »

What do they feed on, if there's no one left? I mean, it might work, but it makes no sense.
I believe the game is following one of the legends where vampires can survive dozens of years without drinking... honestly I don't think the game currently has any penalty for them not drinking blood, but technically no drinking of blood should make them gradually weaker and weaker.  Vampires seem to last forever without food or drink which make them perfect as scouts walled up outside.  That's turning an obstacle into an advantage.

I think, eventually, they get tired, but it seems to take several years.  "Tired" gives a small penalty to all actions.

There's also the fact that, never drinking, they never sate their alcohol dependence, but of course that's unaffected by whether they drink blood or not.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:03 pm »

I don't really know a lot about how vampires work in Dwarf Fortress. Sad, really. I want to find
effective means of getting them, of hunting them. All my attempts have left dozens of dwarves
dead, sucked dry of blood, before I could get the bastards. I've killed about 6 of 'em so far.
Mostly out of a few methods I devised. They're crude, but they work in a pinch if I've got
about 5 dwarves to spare or something.

It would be cool to have more complex, varied types of vampires. Some of them unable to
cross streams, perhaps.  Maybe some other types that can't be near garlic, are afraid of
religious crafts or whatever. I don't know what can be implemented, but what I want the
most is the ability to create Urist McHelsing, slayer of vampires or something akin to that.
Pages: 1 [2]