Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Insane Vampire...  (Read 9259 times)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Insane Vampire...
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:53:44 am »

Covered in blood, no clothing, running around my fortress babbling for the past 3 years.

Awesome sauce.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Insane Vampire...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:56:51 am »

Burrow him outside as an alert system !

o wait, SRM dwarves don't accept burrows right ?

Well, keep him. It gives your fortress character. It's what I do with harmless ghosts sometimes as well.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:58:51 am »

If I remember correctly.. Insane dorfs never eat or drink, which makes them starve or thirst to death.
Vampires however.. Hmm..

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:11 am »

Well, they can go SRM, i once was playing around in the arena whit the fluffballs mod, and after you have them fluff'd to the ground a few times, they usually go insane, even animals.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:08 am »

Best case scenario is it tries to kill itself by repeatedly jumping off a mild cliff.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:28 am »

Covered in blood, no clothing, running around my fortress babbling for the past 3 years.

Awesome sauce.

Hmm, that might explain my guy. Being too busy/lazy to go through migrant histories to spot the vampire I also didn't check the justice screen as I assumed he'd have drained victims away from prying eyes. Three bodies later I finally got round to it and found each kill had a witness so duly convicted him. He got 601 days jail time.

This gave me plenty of time to decide his future and, as he was a useful axe fighter, decided to build him an above ground barracks/bedroom where he could work on his combat skills. When the goblins came I was going to send him out first to thin the crowd. However, after making him a militia captain in a squad of just him, he failed to equip himself. He is covered in a variety of blood but nothing else. He doesn't appear insane though, he obediently went to the burrow I made of his room but now just stands there. Last time I looked he was supposedly doing individual combat drill/rest and was quite content. Outed vampires don't appear to be as much fun as you might hope.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:45 am »

Mine is very much insane, I can't remember how he got that way though.

I recall having an immigrant show up with an entirely bruised body and no clothes. And I recall him having a yellow name (the vampire is a bowyer, so a yellow name as well). Can't say for certain if that was him or not.

It is hurting absolutely nothing as he doesn't seem to actually feed, and doesn't actually do much of anything besides wander between stockpiles. Find it awkward that he is always covered in blood (different dwarf blood, depending on who was recently injured etc) though.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:06:45 pm »

I once locked up a vampire while I built a magma pit for him to go swimming in.  While locked up he succumbed to a strange mood, and since I didn't want to waste the artifact, I let him go insane.   While trying to figure out what to do with him I built a multi-level collapse-trap at my fort's entrance.  I designated a burrow on top of it for him, and although it took him a while, he eventually made it up there. 

Needless to say, the resulting collapse was much fun and resulted in the death of many goblins.  The vampire surprisingly did not die.  He was horribly mauled however, and proceeded to spend the next year immobilized in front of my fort until at last he bled to death.  I'm not exactly sure why he wasn't taken to the hospital and was actually a bit sad when he died.  A legless, immortal vampire dwarf to forever watch your fort entrance is something all forts should have.

Lord Hastur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:14 am »

My first exposure to vampires just came a few days ago in the form of a clothier who wend insane from failing to complete an artifact.  Since I knew I wouldn't be able to complete the artifact well before he went insane, I walled him up in there.  A few years later I realized that he hasn't starved to death, or was even getting hungry or thirsty for that matter...  It also went a long way toward explaining all those dead dwarves drained of blood. 

At first I thought I would go the eternal watchpost route, but then decided to carve out a maze 10 levels below the bottom level of the fortress, and assign him a burrow there.  Everything was going fine until another drained body was found in bed.  After hours of reading dwarf biographies, I found a second vampire, and sent him to the maze as well.

Sometime later, my dwarf children started getting very unhappy and tantruming...until I realized I could just assign them to the Maze of Despair as well.  Now they run around for a while down there, until they sleep a few times... 

I'm still waiting to see if the threat of being sent Down Below has any effect on the frequency of dwarf child tantrums...

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:50:00 am »

What's SRM?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:57:47 am »

Strak Raving Mad, result of a failed mood occasionally

Having an immortal, insane vamire that doesn't drink blood anymore wandering around in your fort babbling incoherently is good for attracting tourists.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 03:56:52 am »

I've had one vampire who wouldn't go to his burrow (I think I ended up with three different burrows for him, but off-duty dwarves were flocking to them so I removed then) so I built a wall around him, on the magma forge level.

He's been in there for four years, and is still quite content. Should I be concerned?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 05:10:44 am »

vampires are always happy. If the whole fort goes insane because of a lack of clothes, your vampire will be organizing nudist parties with a happy smile.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:11 am »

vampires are always happy. If the whole fort goes insane because of a lack of clothes, your vampire will be organizing nudist parties with a happy smile.

Nope.  I've got a melancholic vampire sitting naked in his jail cell, walled off from the world and clutching a steel crossbow and quiver in pus-covered hands (hammerer broke two fingers and the fort has crappy medical staff).  He's not hungry or thirsty, he's just permanently miserable.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:34:46 am by ThatAussieGuy »

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:28 am »

Do SRM dwarves pull levers at random, ala gremlins or macaques? Or is that still only berserk?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.
Pages: [1] 2 3