Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: All hail,Toady The Great One!  (Read 9054 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: All hail,Toady The Great One!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 09:20:20 am »

All hail!MY mortal sould begs me to ask you when will be the pot of gold released(version 1.00.00).**Just a curiosity,I don't mind if it's in 2013 or 2014...Just I am curiuos.**All hail!
Well, let's do the math. 0.34.01 was roughly one-third of the way (~34%) through everything Toady intends to add to DF. IIRC, the first version, 0.21.93.19, was about 21% done and released in 2006. Six years for 13%, and another 66% to go...it could be a while.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 09:37:16 am »

Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

Sig'd
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:56:59 am »

All hail!MY mortal sould begs me to ask you when will be the pot of gold released(version 1.00.00).**Just a curiosity,I don't mind if it's in 2013 or 2014...Just I am curiuos.**All hail!
Well, let's do the math. 0.34.01 was roughly one-third of the way (~34%) through everything Toady intends to add to DF. IIRC, the first version, 0.21.93.19, was about 21% done and released in 2006. Six years for 13%, and another 66% to go...it could be a while.

You know, now that I think about this again...I hope that Toady realized that he will be 60+ years old by then.... :o :o Yeah.... v1.0 feels like Dukem Nukem forever ^3.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 02:35:47 pm »

0.21.39 was released in 2006
0.34 was released in 2012.

WHich means +- 15% every six years.
Which means about 26 years for completion. ie 2038
Well I hope he finishes it before 2038 or we could run into problems.

By that time most of those systems have probably been replaced.
I try not to worry too far into the uncertain future.

Look at your apocalypse, now back to me, now back to your apocalypse. Your apocalypse is now strawberries!

I'm a pony.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:41 pm »

DEWM

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 07:33:57 pm »

You know, now that I think about this again...I hope that Toady realized that he will be 60+ years old by then.... :o :o Yeah.... v1.0 feels like Dukem Nukem forever ^3.
When he did the math, the number he came up with was 51 years of age. By age 60 he might be at version 1.30 or so.
And Duke Nukem Forever was passed around, redone, and shelved. It's not the same as a game that we can play right now that's seeing continuous development and shows no signs of ever stopping.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:38 pm »

Pffft, there are games with longer development cycles than Duke Nukem Forever.

Games we must never speak of.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »

Duke Foreva wasn't playable in it's development. DF, though "undone" is playable. So, despite not being "released," it's totally "out" and definitely playable.

And I heard that game was a huge let down.

I'd be surprised if someone was like "OMG DF 1.0 ISN'T EVERYTHING I WANTED IT TO BE" you should know freaking well what DF 1.0 is going to be like because it's been around for so long and playable the entire time.

Speaking of let downs, one word to sum of the biggest video game let down ever: Spore.

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 12:04:29 pm »

SPORE????SPORE???SPORE????? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o You let me no words!

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:01 pm »

biggest video game let down ever: Spore.
Except, you know, that Maxis itself admitted that the original engine was about as fun to play as minesweeper with no mines.
(I assume you are refering to the differences between the showcase demo and the final product)

Thats not to say the final game was perfect, nor is it to say that the final game wasnt hyped, but there have been much bigger letdowns.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Pages: 1 [2]