Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site  (Read 7733 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:15:49 am »

I keep my fortress gates closed and encounter this message... I lower the gates and can still trade... but have I lost some trading options because the wagons passed??  OR  do the wagons just provide extra hauling space?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:42:48 am »

The wagons bring in most of the goods the caravan has. When you open them then, after the message, you recieve what the pack animals in the caravan are carrying, not the majority of the trade goods. Just create a 3wide path, leading to the edge of the map, from your depot. Run a wall along both sides of that path, far as they will reach, then use raised drawbridges to create walls the final distance. All caravans will arrive there, unless there is a gap in your defenses. As always, set sentry/traps along that path if hostiles appear at that edge
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:58:50 am »

'D' to check if the path is accessible from the map edge, ramps and such continue the path.

And, wagons provide mostly all the goods the caravan has, so I guess, yes. You have lost a lot there.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:18:49 am »

My first caravan this fort I had that as well since I simply had forgotten to place a Depot. My main problem was that the merchants couldn't carry all the stuff I wanted to give them. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:42 am »

I just had this message again despite my fortress gate being open... the human merchants even started approaching the depot.  I hope the pathfinding on this game improves.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:17 am »

I just had this message again despite my fortress gate being open... the human merchants even started approaching the depot.  I hope the pathfinding on this game improves.

I have never had this problem.  I hope you instantly paused the game  the moment that occured and checked 'D' to see if there was still Depot access - could a sapling have grown into a tree at that instant, somewhere along the path the merchants were using to reach you?  Could there have been a new building or construction placed that blocked the path?  Could something have happened to the Depot, like a building destroyer or forbidding (not sure that forbidding would affect merchants, but worth checking).

I've had -great- luck with pathfinding in this game.  I've even made 'hidden merchant paths' to 'secret' depots, placed so that merchants (with or without wagons) are forced to spawn in one tiny 3-tile wide path right on the edge of the map and follow a route to a little sealed-off depot (this being the only path to reach this only depot on the map), then pulled a few levers to seal the depot off from the map and open a route from my fortress to the depot, allowing 100% safe trading.

There is a TINY chance that an enemy would happen to spawn in that tiny 3-tile wide path, but the path is as small as it can be to reduce that chance, and it's never happened to me yet in my years of using this method across several versions, including the current.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:10:10 am »

Donīt blame the pathfinding. Most probably the access route to your trade depot is blocked. It might be something as trivial as a tree which started growing on the road.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:14:07 am »

Donīt blame the pathfinding. Most probably the access route to your trade depot is blocked. It might be something as trivial as a tree which started growing on the road.

This. If you don't have a paved road/constructed floor from your depot to the map edge, it is your fault. You should clearcut on a seasonal basis at least, as trees tend to grow and block paths. Also note that steep slopes are often impassable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »

I ran across this as well on a heavily forested embark. Really need to clear paths of trees or the wagons just pass on. Hope you don't mind whiny elves.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 01:10:05 pm »

Even a boulder in the ground will count against access.  Smooth any boulders in the desired path.  You have to anyway, to build a paved road over them.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:01:40 pm »

It was probably a tree, but it really didn't matter because two goblin ambushes shreaded the human merchants before they could reach me... except for one badazz human swordsman which was fighting 5 at once and took them all down, but not before his merchant friends were sliced and diced.

For some reason the previous human traders disappeared from the list of civilizations so I had no idea where these new humans were approaching from a different direction.

Some bodies and items on the ground outside, however there's 3 goblin crossbow, which might still be wandering around outside... not sure if they can go back into stealth after being revealed.