Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed too long?  (Read 1063 times)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
Seed too long?
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:32:12 am »

I ended up with a world gen I liked, but failed to change the param set to 'Use seed'

I went back in and found the Last Param Seed to be CQ4G0A2wCKmw0aKg0ukS

But when I go to Enter advenced parameters>Use Seed(Yes)>Seed I can only type the first 15 chars before it starts to overwrite the last character.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed too long?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:52:18 am »

Set everything else, then save the parameters. Exit the game, and look at the world_gen.txt file in data/init. You should be able to manually enter seeds there by editing the appropriate line (which should be visible if you set it to use a specific seed before saving and exiting the game). It sucks to have to use such a workaround, but at the same time, the fact that you can edit the world_gen.txt file directly allows you to make changes that the game wouldn't normally allow - like upping embark points, river sources, or the minimum number of volcanos past the standard limit.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:00:55 pm »

Awesome, thanks for the pro tip ;)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:39:03 am »

OK, so Footkerchief says I should try to reproduce a crash that I reported.  I'm willing to try that if I can just figure out how.  Apparently the native game's advanced world-gen interface is broken and doesn't permit entering the seeds, with the workaround specified above.  So far so good -- but my crash was from the "CREATE WORLD NOW" (default) interface, so I don't know what parameters to put in all the other fields.

How do I turn "Generating world using parameter set CREATE WORLD NOW = 4233333" into a data/init/world_gen.txt file that I can paste the seeds into?

-------------------
Hmm, nobody here knows.  I only posted here because this was the thread that I found when I was searching.  I'll try the modding forum.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:09:22 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz