Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs and water  (Read 732 times)

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs and water
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:36:07 pm »

will dwarfs willingly enter/cross/ect water if they have a certain skill level in swimming?

I'm trying to make the only way into my base through water (thats not 7/7 and deeper than 3/7) to train there swimming skill, and eventually when they all have high enough swimming make the water 7/7.

of course theres the problem of immigrants, but I plan on having a way to quickly close off entrance to the water entrance, to allow someone to pump however much water out as needed.

what do you think?
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs and water
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:41:14 pm »

Won't work. Dwarves never willingly enter water that's too deep to walk through.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:48:10 pm »

They'll never path through water deeper than 1/7

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:19:33 am »

I actually got them to go into water that was shallower than 4.

Kinda sucks they wouldn't path through swimming water...

If you have a legendary swimmer it would be useful to have him be so, and not just as a form of accident insurance.
You could have an "aquatic lever puller" or something.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:33:10 am »

Water which is 4/7 or deeper is flagged as impassible terrain.  They'll never voluntarily enter it, no matter how much swimming skill they have.

Water which is less than 4/7 deep is passable terrain, and your dwarves will happily walk through it, even if it means getting swept over a waterfall to their doom.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:01:44 am »

Water which is 4/7 or deeper is flagged as impassible terrain.  They'll never voluntarily enter it, no matter how much swimming skill they have.

Water which is less than 4/7 deep is passable terrain, and your dwarves will happily walk through it, even if it means getting swept over a waterfall to their doom.

Obvious solution: Create a 4/7 deep pool for an entrance that can be easily turned into a pit to flush enemies into a drowning pit.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:12:10 am »

Obvious solution: Create a 4/7 deep pool for an entrance that can be easily turned into a pit to flush enemies into a drowning pit.

; D
I was going to make it so that the entrance would flood with water incase of siege/ect with no way out. Which would drain when I wanted it to.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 02:57:36 pm »

Actually, I noticed the opposite behavior in a fort this morning.  A chid was drinking water on the wrong side of a stream. (which was also strange.  I had booze in the hundred range for ~50 pop.  maybe all barrels were currently occupied.)

I wondered how he got there, maybe when the water's froze in the winter?  I wondered how he wasn't hungry.  Then I watched him hike down stream a way, hop in the water, hop out the other side, and rejoin his large family at the meeting area.  His little excursion rewarded him with a dabbling rating as a swimmer.

I'll play with this later.   But, from this one case, it seems children, maybe, will path through water for their own reasons.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 03:02:43 pm »

Were some of those stream/river/pond down-ramps right next to each other on a diagonal?

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26:32 pm »

Ramps at the edges, yes.  Bodies of water have those now.  But chalk this up to strange water behaviour.  The river is flowing off the map around that point, but has an average depth of 3 for quite a bit.  This is probably due to uneven thawing.  So swimming was practised by accident while crossing a shallow bit of the river -- no dwarves will cross on their own accord.