Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan troubles...  (Read 853 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan troubles...
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

Forgive me if it's an old problem, but I cannot keep caravans alive. They get butchered by small goblin ambushes, not strong enough to menace my fortress, but enough to disrupt the caravan! Tried stationing my army near the spawn point, usually wagons are butchered by the crossfire... Should I line all my map with permanently raised bridges to channel caravans and invaders in a small corridor?

Perhaps it's because I choose a 2X2 area? Do you think that in a bigger area the caravan will not spawn on top of each other?

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan troubles...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

Hey, free stuff.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

I've dealt with this four different ways.  

1)  Create a scout who will flush out all your ambushers.  Assign him like 3 or four wardogs and have him walk all around the map.  Once he sees an enemy set him to "do not engage" and station him back inside your fortress.  The ambushers shoudl follow and get mowed down by your defenses.

2)  Create an underground tunnel path from the edge of the map to just in front of your depot.  When the wagons enter the tunnel they will most likely not be ambushed.  Post a few wardogs at the entrances.  

3)  put your depot near the edge of the map and station archers to guard it.  Make a hauling tunnel to take goods back and forth.  

4)  Build a 4-5 space wide walled corridor to the edge of your map.

Good luck!  I really prefer 1 or 2.  Usually flushing them out beforehand does the trick.  You can see a framerate drop when the arrive on the map.

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

Ok, thanks! Will try it soon!