Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The true nature of Dwarf Fortress' universe (‼Science‼ included!)  (Read 16643 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortress is a game bestowed with a bounty of curiosities. From watertight cat bone floodgates to gargantuan demonic monstrosities being hauled by a single dwarf, this game has baffled minds both dull and brilliant alike. Today, however, it ends. Today, I come before you to present an end to the confusion. Today... I explain.

You see, Dwarf Fortress is set in a 4-dimensional universe.

1. On Dragons

That's right, 4-dimensional. The reason this is confusing is that the game is actually played in 3 dimensions. The world, with its ramps and its caves and its eyeball grass and its mountains, is entirely 3-dimensional. You dig in 3D, you build in 3D, you stab, ignite, throw, talk, and swim in 3D.

However...

That dragon that you just let into your fortress by accident. How did it fit? Aren't dragons meant to be incomprehensibly vast? How does it manage to chase your miner down a tiny access shaft like that? The answer is that the dragon is, in fact, 4-dimensional. What you see in your tunnels is the infinitesimally small part of it that manifests itself in 3D.

It's not just dragons though. The dwarf it's chasing is also 4D. So is the XCave Spider Silk LoinclothX he's wearing, the tree he was on his way to cut down several seconds before, and the door that was just set on fire and smashed to pieces. In fact, every creature and item in the game is 4D. All you ever see of them are their 3D manifestations, which are never larger than a single tile in-game.

The upshot of this is that, when you see a dragon on your screen, you're looking at the 2-dimensional representation of the 3-dimensional manifestation of a vast 4-dimensional creature.

2. Quantum stockpiles and Prone Villagers

A 4D object protrudes into the 3D world by a variable amount. If it is the only object in an in-game tile, it is free to protrude as much as it likes and take up as much space in the world as it likes, as long as it doesn't exceed its game tile. If another object's 3D manifestation is put into the tile, the object may be forced to recede into 4D space a little to make room for it.

An example of this is when a single human can completely block your passage as an adventurer, but is able to recede enough to let you pass if you lie down (and therefore take up less than a complete tile of space). It's also why chunks of microcline are both small enough to be piled up in the thousands without overflowing a single tile, and large enough to make a watertight wall across an entire passageway.

3. XXTroll Fur LoinclothsXX

In Dwarf Fortress, items can take damage and gradually accumulate wear over time. To the player, this appears to be a simple progression, wherein the item is damaged and eventually destroyed entirely, leaving no trace.

In fact, what is happening is that the item is losing its foothold in the 3D realm. As it is 'damaged', it is instead slowly pushed back into 4D space until eventually it has entirely left the 3D world and can no-longer be observed from within it.

4. "You latch on firmly!"

It has been observed that, during combat, it is possible for creatures to grasp any part of another creature's body using any of its own body parts, resulting in amusing situations such as when a dwarf may have hold of a leg with his arm and an ear with his hand, while biting onto any number of other body parts with numerous individual teeth.

The reason this is possible is that creatures in Dwarf Fortress are not constrained by the 3-dimensional physics we're used to. There's no reason why a 4-dimensional kitten can't let its back tooth bite onto a goblin's face while its other teeth all take shortcuts through 4D space to maul toes, guts or any other body part that it takes a liking to.

5. Teleporting Vermin

In-game, small creatures such as rats and flies appear to blink in and out of existence. This is in fact a trait unique to small vermin, which will wander in and out of the 3D world aimlessly, appearing to teleport several metres at a time as they move around in 4D space.

6. One final curiosity

When objects' manifestations are pushed around by the flow of water (which, it should be noted, is entirely 3-dimensional), they sometimes seem to disappear. This is because they have been temporarily pushed out of the 3D world. Dwarves, with their 4-dimensional hands, can still pick them up out of 4D space, but they're invisible to the 3D simulation until this happens.

Note that, due to some quirk of fluid dynamics, items can sometimes be pulled back into 3D existence by the flow of water as well.

...that's about it. Hopefully this all makes sense, and I'll be more than happy to enlighten readers on any points that seem fanciful or inconsistent.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:40:09 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: The true nature of Dwarf Fortress' universe
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »

So, if a human from our universe were to teleport into DF's one, what would they see a typical DF fort as?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The true nature of Dwarf Fortress' universe (‼Science‼ included!)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »

A normal 3D fort, just filled with whatever the hell 4D objects look like in a 3D world. See the animation on this page for some idea of what that might look like to us. In the game, they're represented by a simple sprite to save us from the insanity this would inevitably cause.
[Signature]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:18:46 pm »

Lung.

Fish.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:21:17 pm »

An alternate explanation to the first two: each DF tile is a cube with a length of 1 Beardscore per side (i.e. the length a beard grows in 20 years if untouched by a razor). The seemingly abritrary nature of the sizes of tiles is because some beards grow faster than others.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:54:08 pm »

Is not the 4th dimension time?  I'm not sure how that'd work into your plans...

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:54:09 pm »

Water physics can only be explained by extra dimensions.  Pressure-forced teleportation, anyone?

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:07:41 am »

Damn, and I'm only just now finishing initial work on my 3D visualizer. Looks like I need to start over.  ::)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:47 am »

Different universe, could be like the 25th dimension or it could be a quantum state requiring an observer for it to function.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 03:20:30 am »

So thats what happens to all the stone unskilled miners don't produce.  Its lost in extradimensional space. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:15:55 am »

One day my Strand Extractor will prove you wrong by finding a adamantine superstring
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 04:49:25 am »

Fine. It's a universe with 4 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension.

[Signature]

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 04:52:53 am »

M.C Escher would approve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._C._Escher

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a blank sig.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 11:35:40 am »

M.C Escher would approve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._C._Escher

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, it's common knowledge that he was a fan of Dwarf Fortress.
[Signature]

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:15 pm »

Different universe, could be like the 25th dimension or it could be a quantum state requiring an observer for it to function.

^^ This latter.

The goblin axelord slashes Schroedinger's Cat in the head with the bronze axe, the severed part flies off in an arc.
Schroedinger's Cat has been struck down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4