Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you plan your fortress before you start working on it?

Always
- 51 (23.8%)
Usually
- 37 (17.3%)
Sometimes
- 34 (15.9%)
Rarely
- 58 (27.1%)
Never
- 34 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 212

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Do you plan your fortress before you start working on it?  (Read 14770 times)

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
Re: Do you plan your fortress before you start working on it?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 09:58:42 am »

I like the chaos of adding things on the fly.  Plus, I'm too new at this to really know what I'm going to need in advance.  Its usually, "Oh, crap.  I need soap.  Now where the hell should I put the soap-makers workshop?"

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 10:03:56 am »

Planning makes my fortress much worse it seems, as I always make it too cramped or way to spacey with not enough doors (which would be good if not for noise causing unhappy thoughts)

So I usually just plan ahead what kind of fort I want to run: IE: what type of military, what goods to export, ect

This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:31:35 am »

I set up with a broad idea of what will go where, but the fine details get resolved as I go along.

Generally I start with a small secure area, even to the point of not going more than one level down until I have a secure perimeter if necessary.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:40:12 am »

i dont need to plan, i have a modular system of fortress building, i just add pieces that are needed, like LEGO

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 01:10:01 pm »

i dont need to plan, i have a modular system of fortress building, i just add pieces that are needed, like LEGO

I would like to see that. A 3d video tour would be nice. Or pictures.

On topic: Usually i have an idea about the fortress i want to build, and i choose the embark accordingly. This means i look around for hours, using dfhack to reveal and prospect. Then i tweak the world, changing evil and minerals and history, then generate it again with 600-800 years of history.
Before embark i plan out the basics, like defense, food industry and sleeping quarters, but everything after those are organic. Like the underground execution tower i just thought of. if there are too many changes, design flaws, then i savescum to my first save and redesign the whole place.
After i reach the perfect image of what i thought of beforehand i tend to abandon the fort after a few years of play. Then the process resets.

Other times i don't plan anything and just go with the flow. A corridor here, a glass vampire tank filled with water there, the migrant dormitory next to the depot, farms in the caverns, towers in the sky...

The only thing i always do is digging a cemetery after digging the farms. I need it every time.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 01:32:28 pm »

With serious fortresses, I usually have some goal in mind(e.g., "This time I'm going to turn the caverns into a massive underground shrine!", or "This time I'm going to build a vertical fort surrounded by a giant fucking deathmaze!"). How that goal will be attained is usually decided as I go along. As for the other questions...

I'm also curious as to what things you planners plan, and how often they go according to your plan.

• Do you plan the economy and industries of your fortress?
  • Does it almost always go as you planned, the design, and the industries?
  • Do you pick your embark location before you begin planning?
  • Do you use external tools to figure out what minerals you have?

Nope. My industries are most commonly set up shortly following the sentence, "Oh shit, that's right. <Insert industry product here> is important."

My plans are flexibly vague, so yes.

My embark is decided by the goal I'm working toward.

Where's the fun in that? The mystery of the unknown is one of the best parts of a new embark.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »

I chose 'Rarely'.

There are no plans. There is a general dwarven feng-suai (sp?) design system, but that is all.

I chose rarely on account of the fact that megaprojects require plans. The fortresses that support said megaprojects, however, do not get plans.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 03:12:53 pm »

my fortress is usually multiple Z levels deep with the first floor being storage trade second being workshops third being bedrooms fourth being a dining room with some food type workshops to the side and a food only storage to the other and the fifth is either another set of bedrooms or a hospital area, below that is usually a prison or burial chamber with the one that its not being directly below that, besides that no planning has gone into it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:36:20 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »

I used to plan them but I was too perfectionist. Nowadays I prefer organic building. My tip is to use only one z level until it's full

Here a pic of my current fort
http://postimage.org/image/n7sti2u31/full/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:39:54 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 05:59:53 pm »

I love how your fortress looks like an underground city with cavernous streets and "buildings" off to the sides, and not like an enormous maze of corridors leading to square, identical rooms..

How do you do that without planning?
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:44 pm »

I used to plan them but I was too perfectionist. Nowadays I prefer organic building. My tip is to use only one z level until it's full

Here a pic of my current fort
http://postimage.org/image/n7sti2u31/full/

No you di'int! That's a goddamn giant dwarf ASCII in the middle of your fort! ĦQue dwarfy!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:14 pm »

I would like to see that. A 3d video tour would be nice. Or pictures.

[...]

i already have a topic about it
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92779.msg2597626#msg2597626

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19:24 pm »

I tend to go in with ideas, and compensate for the terrain and area. It's really hard to get to building that Zombie grinder you have in mind when you can't finish your outer wall due to constant Zombie assault. And have to worry first about evil rain and or mist.

Of course, I can also say I have default plan's. Like I build an above ground fort, and one down below. Get the walls built, roof them. Dig out storage areas, work areas, rooms which I triple room for beds now that I vamps are a reality (and saves on space and time). And then I see about expanding the walls out and or adding other ideas in once secured.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23:05 pm »

This is generally my plan for any fort :p
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:25:46 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:20 pm »

My pan is mostly: Looking nice<Working
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5