Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampiric Fortress of Doom (concept)  (Read 2818 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Vampiric Fortress of Doom (concept)
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:10:29 pm »

So... Vampires don't eat or sleep, right?  All you have to do is wall them in with a nice room (for aesthetics, not because they'll sleep in it) with all the crazy levers for the horrible deathtraps that comprise your fort.  Sure, migrants will eventually learn to flee, but in the mean time, your vamp will prevent your civ from crumbling so you can end up with a 1-dwarf fortress that's impervious to everything where the master of the Fortress of Doom simply operates the death traps which destroy the world.

In other words, I might be able to make my megaprojects that doom the world (and what good megaproject doesn't?) a bit more reuseable because I no longer have to care about things like dying of old age or drowning.  You just have to wall them in with all the levers, sit back, and activate the FUN!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampiric Fortress of Doom (concept)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »

I do wonder what happens once all your dwarves are composed of vampires. Do they just stay active but forever hungry? Can vampires starve themselves to death?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:47:19 pm »

I do wonder what happens once all your dwarves are composed of vampires. Do they just stay active but forever hungry? Can vampires starve themselves to death?

Yeah, don't they actually need blood at some point? So you'd need some kind of redundantly complicated migrant trapper to feed your evil overlord...
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:52 pm »

No, vamps don't actually need blood, or at least they don't seem to suffer from a lack of it.

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »

In other words, I might be able to make my megaprojects that doom the world (and what good megaproject doesn't?) a bit more reuseable because I no longer have to care about things like dying of old age or drowning.  You just have to wall them in with all the levers, sit back, and activate the FUN!

I believe this would eventually go wrong because migrants or traders would leave ghosts and every once in a while you could get a violent one, which could get into the control room and kill your vampire...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:47:11 pm »

Repeated tests in 31.XX have shown that violent ghosts only show up if the dwarf died through combat or after going berserk, though, at least for me. I need to actualy let someone die of vampiric draining and check what kind of ghosts they produce.

Anyway, vampires are pretty durable in general, they could probably survive being harassed by violent ghosts for a while.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:02:44 am »

I believe this would eventually go wrong because migrants or traders would leave ghosts and every once in a while you could get a violent one, which could get into the control room and kill your vampire...

They could build slabs if they had to, but I think they would spend most of their time terrorizing the fortress.  Coating the fortress in magma would be the new way of getting upset over missed mandate deadlines.  The meeting area could double as a drowning trap, etc.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:29 am »

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure even violent ghosts don't stray far from their place of death. So if you place the vampire somewhere far away from your fort then you may be safe.

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:49:32 am »

I have suffered fortresswide stalking from violent ghosts that originally appeared on the surface and travelled 20+z levels to get to my most important dwarfs, ripping off legs and arms for no apparant reason. I may have been really unlucky but since there is no ghost removal tool yet and slabs are a pain, I have withdrawn from trying anything like this in the new version.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:03 am »

Oh, man...  I had my first Necromancer siege.  At first, there were only a couple of zombies on the map and no necromancer in sight, no problem I thought, everyone was conscripted and sent out to... meet their doom.  Three survivors locked themselves below and trained for a whole year for a breakout.  Then migrants arrived and again they tried to beat back the undead.  This time only two survivors, all the starting seven were dead.

I first became suspicious when one of these dwarves ("very weak") killed a zombie dwarf rather quickly with no notes on the combat log.  Then, I accidentally left a door unlocked and in came the hordes who proceeded to... do nothing.  The ghosts, the skeletons, the zombies, all just stood around one of the dwarves.  Checked her relationships and it turns out her deity made her a vampire a few years before emigrating to my fort.

Right.  I shifted all noble positions to the other dwarf, a farmer, and accused the vampire of murdering a child (which I guess she must have done).  I felt guilty about sending the farmer to certain death but, you know, justice had to be upheld even at the expense of the fort.  Except he does nothing.  Check his relationships and he's a freaking vampire too.

So that's it... I have a fort that consists of two necromancer vampires that could be, for all I know, utterly invincible and opposed to any and all intruders to the map, migrants included.  Actually, that sounds like fortress heaven to me... perhaps this is my dream fort?  What should I do?  Conscript immigrants to restore justice?  Or make a vampiric tower that would put Castlevania to shame?

edit - the invincible thing is looking quite probable now.  One of the vampiric lady dwarves got a major injury, don't know how, maybe sparring, after I left the game on overnight (a dwarven caravan got massacred so the two of them have a LOT to haul)... chest cut open with a fractured lung.  I scrambled to get the other vampire as chief medical dwarf, but before she could do anything, injured vampire is up and about and hauling again.  A season later she just has a "dent" in her chest.  This is like a dream super-dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:08:42 pm by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:53 pm »

Well the choice is obvious.  Vampires must rule the world.