Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: General DFVD observations and a question.  (Read 667 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
General DFVD observations and a question.
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:44:04 pm »

Spent a bit of time on my fortress today. Here are some varied experiences that DFVD has created:

Vampires:
I was managing my fortress when I noticed that one of my doctors had a flashing red +. I was sorta scared, since he was a master diagnoser and surgeon. I look in his health screen, and see 'Severe blood loss'. That was my first indication that I had a vampire. I designated my dorms as a meeting hall and waited. The doctor eventually went to 'faint', and then back to normal - I've never heard of dwarves surviving vamp attacks before.

Fastforward a year. *Urist McMilitiaCaptainAndUberMilitarySkill has been found, completely drained of blood*. Of COURSE. the vampire HAD to go for my best-skilled and competent teacher military dwarf, responsible for training the draftees. But, alas, Urist McFreshAxeDraftee was seen by 3 people. I wall him off in some remote part of the fortress.

Wealth generation:
Elves have arrived! I can test my- wait a sec. I don't have it slated for completion for another few years. I guess I'll trade them for their wood and booze. ... Oh. I don't have enough mugs and my stone crafters are currently asleep. Think think think these elves have a lot of needed plant material hmm.... What if-

A farmer got a fey mood! Claimed a workshop, and is needing gems. I go to the jeweler's workshop, and am confused for a split second when I see stones there. Then, I see "Native Gold   C E". I order native gold cut on repeat.

5 Minutes later, I finish trading with the elves. I bought out their entire food supply, and offered an additional 3000 db in cut native gold to them, so they'll come back with more food next year. Perhaps even some exotic animals.

Echidnas:

Urist McHauler cancels store item in stockpile: interrupted by echidna.

I zoom to my stockpiles, and there is an echidna running around the stone stockpile layer, constantly curling up into a ball and interrupting my dwarves. I'm going to try to cage trap it and add it to my egg farm, next to the turkeys, hens, and a giant magpie (thank you elves). But it's gonna be hard to herd the thing. Is there any trick to cage trapping and taming animals in a large but enclosed area?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: General DFVD observations and a question.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:00:01 pm »

Vampires almost always kill their victims unless interrupted usually by military service.

I think I read somewhere that elves give exotic animals a lower priorty than cloth or wooden goods so they bring more animals if they hate you.

Animals should have a natural bias to want out of your fortress. Seal it in, construct a cage trap at the exit, and then let it out.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:19:08 pm »

Oh - I remember that now. Cloth has a better value to weight ratio than animals. Gonna seize their goods from now on ;D
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »

I heard somewhere that sufficiently large dwarves can survive a vampire attack, I haven't even had a vampire yet so I couldn't confirm that.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:22:51 pm »

As I recall, that was disproven. Elves bring so much cloth because they psychically know your fort doesn't have a whole lot. Same with wood - they bring wood if they detect a lack of wood logs on the map. Then if you end up buying a lot of their cloth, they see this as profitable and thus bring even more.

Keep a huge stash of cloth in stock and never use any of it. Then they'll avoid bringing cloth and hopefully more of what you want.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.