Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant with a custom profession name...?  (Read 892 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant with a custom profession name...?
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:58:17 pm »

Allow me to explain my naming conventions for professions that I give my dwarves. So normally my starting 7 have custom profession titles, all of which start with (E) for elder just so I can know that are my one of my founders when I'm sorting through 80 dwarves. All immigrants that I deem worthy of actually working in my fort get a (C) for citizen before their profession title. Everyone else gets nothing or I rename their profession to "Useless". So an example of both would be as follows:

(E) Engineer
(C) Blacksmith

Note the space.

Now I just received another migrant wave, and one of these migrants came with the profession name of (E)Miner. Upon removing the custom title this dwarf is in fact a Mason. I know I definitely did not change this dwarf's name and then forgot about it instantly, so I am curious as to whether this means that this particular dwarf is something new, and hopefully sinister, in regards to this recent release.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant with a custom profession name...?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »

Its just a former miner that migrated from one of your other forts.
Or a former mason that you named miner for some reason.
I would give him a slightly better room then the others, a statue for example.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:08:47 pm »

Its just a former miner that migrated from one of your other forts.

Upon closer inspection that has to be the case, because when looking at her skills she seems to have the same number of points in skills that I normally give my miners upon embark. I also just received another migrant wave with an (E)Grower as well. It seems both of these individuals have come from the very first fort I started on this world that I immediately abandoned when I found that it had a 7 layer aquifer.

This seems like something I can take full advantage of in future forts.

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:51:04 pm »

This seems like something I can take full advantage of in future forts.
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 02:11:42 pm »

As a warning, if you abandon a fort in the middle of a tantrum spiral then some of your migrants at the next fortress will throw tantrums and/or go insane almost as soon as they enter the map.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »

Yeah this happened to me too once. I spent a few years looking for a good site, and when I finally stuck with one I got some my armorsmith and weaponsmith from one of the abandoned forts.

Since you can't get skills above 5 with embark points, this isn't too exploitable. I guess you could make a fort just to make a bunch of legendaries, abandon, and hope they migrate, but eh.

EDIT: A MUCH better possibility is getting retired adventurers as migrants.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:34:34 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »

Yeah this happened to me too once. I spent a few years looking for a good site, and when I finally stuck with one I got some my armorsmith and weaponsmith from one of the abandoned forts.

Since you can't get skills above 5 with embark points, this isn't too exploitable. I guess you could make a fort just to make a bunch of legendaries, abandon, and hope they migrate, but eh.

EDIT: A MUCH better possibility is getting retired adventurers as migrants.

You're right that it isn't something that can be exploited to a great extent, but I usually keep rerolling my starting 7 until I get a group with highly desirable traits and qualities; so while they may not be Legendary in their respective professions (although usually pretty high in hard to level skills), they are the perfect type of dwarves I like to have in my forts.