Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43

Author Topic: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? READ FIRST POST (No longer active)  (Read 103374 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? READ FIRST POST (No longer active)
« Reply #615 on: October 23, 2012, 09:09:58 pm »

I've been interested in Wurms for a bit, but whenever I try it the lag is really terrible.  Does anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions for dealing with it?
I haven't played recently, but from reading the forum the lag is quite rampant for a lot of people. Sadly, this has been an on and off problem since I started playing Wurm like 5+ years ago. It appears out of nowhere, people whine for a month and Rolf puts a bandaid on it and it goes away for a few months and then rears its ugly head again and the cycle starts all over again.

This is called being a independent game.  Wurm has a wide scattering of players from around the world, and the servers are housed either in Rolf's office, or close enough for him to physically put his hands on them.  This means that for a very large number of players, their internet connection to the game servers is going to be...  Problematic at times.

I live outside of Atlanta, which is a major internet backbone hub, and my connectivity was normally good, but even here it was a bit rough from time to time.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 01, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »

I think it's to be put up on things like steam, Ordie, who knows. I wonder how many peeps are gonna roll hordie first :S

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:24 am »

That might be enough to get me back into Wurm. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #619 on: December 02, 2012, 06:49:51 am »

Now that Glitch is dying I'm trying to get my mother to try Wurm as a replacement. We live in different countries and we're not exactly emotionally close, so playing Glitch together was the one bonding activity we had (replacing playing Tetris together when I was a kid). She's not a gamer and Glitch was perfect with the easy learning curve, cute graphics and humor that made her happy without having to put too much effort in.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a similar game to replace Glitch, so we're looking for something else. She told me she loved building and designing stuff in Glitch so I thought of Wurm. We can build a little homestead with a farm, cook, take pretty pictures, go exploring. She'd rather not pay but she says if it's worth it and subscription isn't expensive she might eventually be willing to pay.

The problem is that she's not a gamer. She's never played RPGs and the interface for Wurm looks really complicated to her. We're 6 hours apart so I won't often be able to directly be there with her to help her and show her around. My hope is that the tutorial will make her feel more comfortable and I can answer her questions when I have time, and most importantly, we can build a safe little home base for her to play around in. Knowing her, she'd be content with a small farm and a little house (which between the two of us would take ages to build anyhow). She never even did the quests in Glitch - she was content just walking around and enjoying how funny everything was.

My question is, how crowded is the game right now? I know they're opening a new server soon, but as it stands at the moment, what are the odds we'd be able to find a relatively safe little spot which hasn't already been claimed (and isn't overrun with spiders)? We really would not need much room, but I remember years ago when I used to play Wurm I'd spend hours wandering looking for a little corner to call my own and constantly being chased off by players who said that while I was not on their deed, I was still on their "claimed" land which extended for hundreds of tiles and anything I built there would be THEIRS and they'd take or destroy it.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a different game which might be better suited to our needs? It has to be pretty or mom won't touch it, and there has to be something interesting for her to do. She was very specific that she wants it to be something that we can play at different times but still interact with each other by leaving notes and gifts, etc., and somewhere she can build/craft/design things and modify the world to some extent.

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe I should start a new topic looking for games for us, so I get responses from more people than just Wurm fans who are already reading this thread. : )
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:42:04 am by Sappho »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 02, 2012, 07:41:20 am »

Sappho, the problem with perimiter claims has mostly gone away.  It's still possible for folks to claim huge amounts of land with perimeter still, but they have to pay for it, so most don't.  If you want to live fairly close to other people, it's normally not an issue.  There are quite a few adult communities who would have absolutely no problems with helping a new player learn the game.  Including quite a large number of middle-age-ish to retired-age-ish folks.  There's an absurd amount of space everywhere these days, Rolf got some new servers and set up a lot of new land, both PVE and PVP.

It's still an Indy game though, with warts, but the PVE servers are fun for anyone who likes in depth crafting games.  I strongly suggest you two join an established village on the PVE server to learn the game, then look at branching off somewhere on your own after you raise a few skills and learn a bit.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:46 am »

Shocked that a game like this has been running since I was playing Morrowind I'm only just now hearing about it.  From the videos I've seen I'd have played the hell out of this.  Anyone planning on DLing it on the 12th?  I'm intrigued.

BTW, will the release version also be F2P?
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 02, 2012, 09:27:03 am »

Free to play all skills up to 20.
Thats pretty much is it so answer is yes :)

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #623 on: December 05, 2012, 05:48:06 pm »

So apparently this is released now. I had forgotten it was a beta. Anyone that is still in game have a word on how things are? Multistory buildings I hear?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:22 am »

So apparently this is released now. I had forgotten it was a beta. Anyone that is still in game have a word on how things are? Multistory buildings I hear?

It's been playable since 6/6/06 but releasing to V1.0 on 12/12/12 unless something has changed again.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 07, 2012, 06:01:40 am »

I gots a new PC now, gonna try signing into the game again. Apparently, the engine really, really hated my graphics card or something last time I tried (couldn't move, could see any ground, stuck standing on the ocean for some reason, 1 frame every 2 seconds)

EDIT: Holy crap, the time to install the graphics.jar for this game has been ~2 hours now and still going. I hope this is worth it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:23:52 am by Reelya »

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 12, 2012, 02:47:35 am »

Anyone else getting ready for today?
Like 4hours and 15minutes left :P

Edit: or idfk. We'll see :3
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:46:59 am by Exerosp »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:40 pm »

Hmm, maybe.  New servers and new lands sound great.

But it would have to be with a group of people, 3 would be a good beginning.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 14, 2012, 09:40:49 pm »

I would play, but is it extremely time-consuming to do anything? I don't want to be stuck playing a game 4+ hours a day. I prefer turn-based stuff for that reason, I had a look at this one, but I'm not willing to make a stupid game my entire life :/ and you just can't compete with the guys willing to clock 12 hours a day on these things.

So, is there anything you can queue for several hours at a time, or is it one where you're literally glued to the screen constantly to get anything done?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:44:26 pm by Reelya »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:52 pm »

I would play, but is it extremely time-consuming to do anything? I don't want to be stuck playing a game 4+ hours a day. I prefer turn-based stuff for that reason, I had a look at this one, but I'm not willing to make a stupid game my entire life :/ and you just can't compete with the guys willing to clock 12 hours a day on these things.

If you don't mind being part of an established village, you can play as little or as much as you want, typically.  Log in, tend farms, groom animals, then log off, or make 100 nails, or whatever.  You can be a small part of the village machine in that way.  If you want to live solo, well, that takes a good bit of time investment.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43