Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43

Author Topic: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? READ FIRST POST (No longer active)  (Read 103519 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for a DF wurm village?
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2012, 04:43:21 am »

Hotmail is a pile of shit that outright deletes a lot of legimate mail on receipt

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2012, 06:36:14 am »

So, we have a bit of a problem.

The owner of the deed to the south of the  the peak (That we use to kill everything up there) Is apparently still active and is not happy that we've moved in beside his deed.

Here's a copy of the hour and a half long argument.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TLDR: Either we pay 15s to have him disband the deed and leave, 20s for him to give us the deed, or we simply move 100 tiles away from him and resettle (Which is about twenty tiles from the little outpost at the base of the mountain).

I told him we'd take a day or so to come to a decision, so I thought I'd let everyone know the situation and ask that leave your thoughts here.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2012, 07:09:42 am »

I don't even have Wurm up and running yet, but I'm for finding out what happens to that anti-social dickhead's precious deed if we drop it and the patch of land it's planted on a couple of dozen z-levels by means of a controlled cave-in.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2012, 07:26:25 am »

What a dickhead. I don't play this anymore but I'd say stay as close as you can to his deed purely just to annoy him.

You handled the argument very well I must say, he was just trying to go in circles.

I wish Wurm was a single player game :(

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2012, 08:40:39 am »

Just note:

The settlement of Ithaca has just been disbanded.

was on twitter a couple of days ago.

That means, we can just go to the other side of this inlet and continue. Too bad not to know how much iron they have though.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2012, 10:19:12 am »

We're actually past the minimum distance away from him, according to the way I understood it on the wiki.

His perimeter ends at the very top of the peak. 16 tiles away from his perimeter is the center of the area we terraformed. Size 7 deed + 5 perimeter = 12. Still 2 empty tiles in between before our perimeters even touch.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:04 am »

Oh hell thats basically settling in his kitchen. You don't want to make a village within 300 tiles of another without getting expressed permission from the owner.

If I owned a deed I sure as hell wouldn't want some rabble moving in 2 tiles from my perim, and I'd probably make their lives hell if I saw that.

But at any rate, I'm in this for the DF side. Soon as I get back to my desktop I'll try and meander my way to where ever you guys are. I'm a weaponsmith mainly, did oodles of it on Wild. Also did a fair bit of carpentry and masonry, had one of the highest blades smithing skill on the server. Not the highest, obviously, but it was up there. I imagine I'll stick to weaponsmithing and some combat skills. Probably get my archery high as I can, along with fletching and a side of bowyery here and there.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:42 am »

Well, yea. I was against settling there personally, but everyone else was saying the deed was abandoned. It had dirt half rotted away, no buildings, no apparent mine. Didn't look like a month+ of terraforming had been done. Looked like some newbie had just wandered up, planted a deed, played for 2 or 3 days, and quit.

I don't really care either way. I'm fine with finding another spot. To be honest I was never a huge fan of this location anyway, I just did terraforming to try and make it work since so many others seemed to really like it and I wanted to get things rolling.

Main thing is we have all our crops planted here, but if he'll agree to leave all the crops alone till we come back to get them we can just find another spot and leave someone around to tend and harvest them until then.

-edit- Though if he wanted to expand to keep us off he'd have to pay a good bit more money. His settlement is already like 15 tiles with the perimeter, so expanding the perimeter down to cover the area we made terraces in would mean expanding it by at least 15 tiles more out. That'd be like 3.4s to expand and an extra 34 copper upkeep.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:36:39 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:51 am »

Out of interest, is it possible to play this by yourself in a purely hermit style living? Or are you likely to come into difficulty?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2012, 10:39:20 am »

Stay away from wurm... It is teh devil.

Coming from a recovered wurmaholic.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2012, 10:53:55 am »

We can just sell Teseng our nice farming terraces for 2s. Thats a real steal, cheaper than he would have to pay to keep us from planting a deed here :)

-edit- Also, I find his claim that we hunted out the area to be laughable. His deed guard has killed far, far more animals than we ever did. Several other hunting parties (completely unrelated to us) have made sweeps through the area since we've been here too. And there are more animals around now than I saw when I first got here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:59:52 am by Paul »

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:22 am »

Remember to write /referals to friends, like Azated, if it's their first time as a premium. It'll give 'em 2.5s!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:37 pm »

To be honest, he did have the right of way, so to speak. He was there first, and he had a deed. Regardless of whether or not we'd put hard work into our spot, he had claimed that deed and the surrounding area. Not the whole mountain of course, but at least the areas right outside his perimeter.

I'm also with the other people that said the mountain peak wasn't really the best spot to settle. There are plenty of other places that would serve our purposes just as well, if not better. As it is, we've barely managed to level the ground enough for three houses. If we moved somewhere naturally flatter, we'd probably have alot of our structures up by now. We don't need to be twenty tiles off the ground to be perfectly hidden, which I think was one of our mistakes here.

No matter how well we hide our area, someone is going to find us. Of course, we don't need to announce our location with a big "Hey JK, bay12 is right here", but hiding in wurm is difficult and isn't particularly rewarding, compared to the alternative.

As long as we aren't right on the coast and we have two or more layers of walls with dirt hills to drain stamina, we should be perfectly fine.

I know that if we do move, alot of you will simply stop playing, but at this point in time there aren't many other options.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »

I'll stay if we move. My boat will serve us well.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #254 on: March 14, 2012, 12:28:10 pm »

I've explored quite a bit of the surrounding area, and marked out a few settlements I found on a map copy. I saw some interesting locations, but none of it seemed truly unoccupied (an occasional butchered corpse, a few empty buildings that may or may not have been abandoned, one active location with a fairly large area influenced).

If we do end up deciding to find some other location, I could share my findings in private with people. No coordinates or public images, though, to keep it secret, and thus slightly safer (since nobody will know where it is, even if they see this thread) until some sort of defense has been set up.
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43