Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43

Author Topic: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? READ FIRST POST (No longer active)  (Read 103467 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? READ FIRST POST
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2012, 04:56:11 pm »

So I'm looking at joining (In game name Mobliz, although I haven't actually logged in yet so yeah) and was wondering how long it'd take to walk to the settlement from the spawn point? I'd like to get it done in one go as it seems like trying to do it in more then one session is a horrible idea and I'm doing some other things in a little bit.

EDIT: Also anything I should know other then everything is going to try to murder me and I shouldn't bother trying to fight back?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:59:17 pm by Seriyu »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #406 on: March 28, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »

Maybe 30 mins to an hour? I haven't really timed it. Didn't seem to take all that long, though. I've been up that way and back quite a few times.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #407 on: March 28, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »

Okay, I'll head in sometime then. One last question, how many dangerous animals are there? Fairly common or more like haven and hearth where seeing a larger animal is more of an event then the norm?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:56 pm »

Okay, I'll head in sometime then. One last question, how many dangerous animals are there? Fairly common or more like haven and hearth where seeing a larger animal is more of an event then the norm?
not that much. for 1/4 its trekking, 1/4 is following the coastline, 1/4 is running along a road, and 1/4 some climbing and trekking. The main danger will be bears and the occasional scorp. nothing you can't outrun though.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:41 am »

Quote from: Today's update
Items have rarity! You may now occasionally succeed in creating a rare, supreme or even fantastic item. These tools are faster, weapons do more damage, and armour protects a bit better. This may also happen as you improve or polish items and rare items may turn into even rarer items. Constructing new items using rare materials may turn the unfinished item into a rare item. Rare guard towers spawn more guards, for instance. More functionality will be added over time.

Not sure I like this part of today's update. Item rarity? Sounds like another grind to make decent items. Instead of killing the same monster 500x for a special item like other treadmill games, now we have to manufacture the same item 500x for a special version of that item. Yay grind?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »

Depends on how you play it I guess.  I see it as adding a bit of anticipation to crafting, like playing a slot machine.  Depends on how common the rares are, and just how much of a bonus they give.  If fantastic items are the defacto standard, then its just adding to the grind.  If they are truly rare, then I don't mind as much. 

Might be good if they set the mechanic to have a limiting factor on how often rare items are generated that is distinct from the number of items crafted/improved.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:53 pm »

At long as something is marginally useful in a PVP situation, it will become necessary - or better say compulsive.

That said with the lack of a capitalist economy at JKS and JKE, such treadmill items will trickle down.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2012, 02:28:54 pm »

Animals are a fair bit more common compared to H&H. You will not be able to run for more than a minute in any direction without running into something.
Unlike H&H, death penalties are very minor. The worst part is usually having to run back from your respawn point.
Stay near the water when possible, as most enemies do not swim, and those that do swim are slowed down in the water. If you do need to go through the forest, do so during the day so you can see enemies clearly and keep your distance from them. Creatures with a blue outline are non-aggressive, so you don't have to worry about them. Let your stamina regenerate frequently, as you don't want to get caught being chased by a critter while you struggle to crawl away with no stamina.
Good luck!

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 29, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »

Keeping your distance is one of the best advice.
Because if you get damaged you enter a hurting state for half a minute that slows you down considerably.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52:04 pm »

Hmm.

Lemme see if I can't flumble my way back to strongbox, and then to wherever you're at. It'd probably be faster to suicide. Who is on ATM?
Everybody!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 29, 2012, 04:19:49 pm »

This new update just saps my will to play...

Rare items is a huge step in the wrong direction, and if that's where Wurm is going it's not a game I want to play anymore.

I'll think about it. If the rest of you guys stick around I might keep playing... but as-is I just logged out in disgust and don't have any desire to play more.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 29, 2012, 05:08:13 pm »

Quote from: Today's update
Items have rarity! You may now occasionally succeed in creating a rare, supreme or even fantastic item. These tools are faster, weapons do more damage, and armour protects a bit better. This may also happen as you improve or polish items and rare items may turn into even rarer items. Constructing new items using rare materials may turn the unfinished item into a rare item. Rare guard towers spawn more guards, for instance. More functionality will be added over time.

Not sure I like this part of today's update. Item rarity? Sounds like another grind to make decent items. Instead of killing the same monster 500x for a special item like other treadmill games, now we have to manufacture the same item 500x for a special version of that item. Yay grind?

It also means that you can get rare items from continuously trying to improve the same item, which might encourage fewer items being made, and more time being spent on each item.  As the players encounter rare items and try to figure out how often rare items are created by various methods, this will probably gravitate to one method or the other,
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:55 pm »

It just means you have to spend a ton of time on items hoping to get lucky though, which just means more grind.

I tried it out a bit right after the patch hit before judging it, made two pieces of studded leather and improved it up to 60 with no change to the "rarity". Then I just made a ton of leather gloves to see if I could manufacture it. Managed to make one "rare" glove straight off from creation, but it just went back to normal when I studded it. Turned most of the leather gloves to studded and didn't see any more "rare" tags pop up.

I just don't see the point in it. It is just a huge added time sink into making anything useful. And as with anything competitive (we are on a pvp server after all) the "rare" will end up being the new normal, and anything that isn't rare will be worthless.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 29, 2012, 05:51:44 pm »

It just means you have to spend a ton of time on items hoping to get lucky though, which just means more grind.

I tried it out a bit right after the patch hit before judging it, made two pieces of studded leather and improved it up to 60 with no change to the "rarity". Then I just made a ton of leather gloves to see if I could manufacture it. Managed to make one "rare" glove straight off from creation, but it just went back to normal when I studded it. Turned most of the leather gloves to studded and didn't see any more "rare" tags pop up.

I just don't see the point in it. It is just a huge added time sink into making anything useful. And as with anything competitive (we are on a pvp server after all) the "rare" will end up being the new normal, and anything that isn't rare will be worthless.

I like it.  Remember there are teirs to rareness... Rare / supreme / fantastic.

If it is possible for players to actually create exceptional items, I like it a lot.  Like creating masterpieces or artifacts in DF.

I'm sure there will be bugs, but it adds to the richness of crafting in Wurm in a way that makes sense, so I like it.  It might be implemented terribly, it might not.  I haven't seen enough feedback to know for sure.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 29, 2012, 06:54:54 pm »

I like it.  Remember there are teirs to rareness... Rare / supreme / fantastic.

If it is possible for players to actually create exceptional items, I like it a lot.  Like creating masterpieces or artifacts in DF.

I'm sure there will be bugs, but it adds to the richness of crafting in Wurm in a way that makes sense, so I like it.  It might be implemented terribly, it might not.  I haven't seen enough feedback to know for sure.

It's not really like masterpieces of artifacts in DF at all, though. It's just a big time sink. Anyone else can make the exact same thing if they put the time into it. If there was some unique process to go through that involved real choices to create special items it might be like DF's artifact system, but as-is you just spend a whole lot of time making and remaking the same items over and over until the game decides that you've created a "fantastic" item. There isn't any special system for it, it's just completely and random chance like playing some kind of slot machine while crafting.

And I bet that before long there will be an item you buy from the trader that transforms things into the "fantastic" version.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43