Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43

Author Topic: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? READ FIRST POST (No longer active)  (Read 103479 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? Read the first post for info
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »

A word of caution. Disassembling a laptop often voids the warranty and nearly always involves about fifteen screws and a lot of buggering about. Anything I have to take a laptop apart for is charged at my regular hourly rate, even for friends and family.

What?  I have absolutely no plans to disassembly my laptop, although I have done so on many other laptops in the past. 

Incidentally, Wurm on pretty much its lowest settings heats my system up to only 65, so it looks like a nominal 'go' - so long as whatever Comcast has decided to do in the last week that is causing my cable modem to constantly reset gets resolved.

I'm actually wondering, based on discussions, to which particular temperatures others are referring when they say they run 55-60C under heavy operation. I'm suspecting that these temperature locations may not necessarily be comparable across the disparate models.  My particular laptop has 12 measurable temperatures.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »

A little disassembling of the laptop, at least to access the fan, is a must, if you want to avoid sending your laptop back.

I sincerely hope that every laptop should have an access hatch just to let in a toothpick and gas sprays to it.

p.s. Please refrain from putting Low QL items into the high QL BSB. Doing so will levels out QL of its contents, making it pointless if it is lowered to an unacceptable level. Please do not use your own capability as a rule: if you don't know where to put an item the best bet is always in the low QL bsb.

If the BSB is nearly full (weight near 14000-ish) please yell out in game so someone will build another one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:47:55 am by evilcherry »

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2012, 04:04:55 am »

I'm talking core cpu temp, power supplies can run a little hotter but I wouldn't go higher than 70c with them

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for a DF wurm village? READ FIRST POST
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2012, 10:58:58 am »

Well, so few people responded to my post about deciding deed size that it looks like we're going with a 15x15.

As soon as I get the money together, I'll plant the deed and we can begin construction. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2012, 04:19:54 am »

I'm the only one on. Someone come on, i'm lonely...
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2012, 05:34:58 am »

Seems like most of you guys are going uphill on the subject of activity. And I tend to ragequit when I see thousands of living animals, and about 50 corpses laying around everywhere at DeadLake...

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2012, 09:56:04 am »

I'm the only one on. Someone come on, i'm lonely...
Its more like timezone differences.

By the way, if anyone needed carpentry to be done (like a chest, barrel or so), please leave a message here or PM me in game.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:02 am »

Evenings in the us the last few nights have been 5-10 people on at a time.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »

I expanded the farm area out to 12x15 (was about 11x8 before I started dumping dirt on it I think), so now we have 180 tiles of farmy goodness. Finished cutting the one mountain corner too. Lots of digging work still needed on the other corner before we can mine it down, but a few diggers on it could get it done quick.

We'll have a nice big area to build on soon.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 21, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »

I'll be on later. May as well get killed walking back to Strongbox, I've no idea how to get to the new place from only halfway to the old.
Everybody!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 21, 2012, 11:53:01 pm »

If we go on with the present progress we might be able to build tomorrow.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 21, 2012, 11:59:30 pm »

What do you guys think of this as a deed area plan?

We'd have a barracks with room for up to 24 beds (probably don't need that many, but extra room won't hurt), a 24 tile workshop building with room for forge, oven, loom, storage, etc. A warehouse for extra storage. And a really big animal pen for horses, so we can breed and keep enough for the whole village.

-edit- Oh, and also: The mine would be into the wall and would be right outside the walls, but we could reinforce the walls and put stone walls up above it to prevent anyone getting in. Could mine right into the wall and go down a tile or two, then turn and down more, then turn and down back into deed area to undermine the village. Did this since putting it inside the flat area would be a major pain, and might wind up with us just hitting iron in front. That spot there has an area within 3 tiles that says rock, so we know we have a clear path going forward and back into the deed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:30:49 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2012, 06:03:36 am »

That looks good, but there's alot of wasted space outside your walls. We don't  really need two layers of walls on the deed. One should be enough, and we can always expand a few tiles if we want some more.

Also, internal walls (for the animal pen) can be wood. There's no need for stone walls there; they take much longer and far more resources than wooden fences.

I still like my idea of building a mine entrance on-deed and digging around the edge of the deed and walling it up. That'd give us 15x15 of stone to mine with a high chance of iron. If we don't have it on-deed to start with, we could build it after the other construction is done as an side project, but we can sue the other mine until then.

EDIT: I modified my old plan with a few ideas I got from yours, aswell as a fresh look at the terrain around our area. This one includes three palisade gates on the East, South and West edges. It would include one on the north, but that's practically sheer rock there so it would be a huge hassle to build a pathway.

North at the top. Not sure if yours was West at the top or not, so I thought I'd specify just in case.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:25:18 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2012, 08:27:30 am »

Hmm.

Farmland and the animal pen can eventually be placed outside of the deed later if needed.
It's not like those can't be easily replaced.

The more buildings on the deed the harder it is for raiders to loot and destroy everything.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 22, 2012, 08:59:49 am »

I guess I should have used NESW for the map, I didn't really center it around compass directions haha. I just whipped it up quick to show to people since folks were getting restless about us not having anything built yet. The top is East, right is South, left is North, down is West.

Farmland doesn't really need to be on the deed, I have 180 tiles of farm we can fence off right near it.

Animal pen is nice to have on deed though, since it means the horses will be under deed law and someone can't smash a fence and run off with them.

As far as the double walls, I kinda wanted the walls on deed for two reasons: 1. it prevents decay, so less upkeep on the brick consuming walls. And 2. palisades on-deed can be controlled by the deed. Off-deed we would have to use gate houses, which iirc are much more vulnerable than palisade gates. Also, large carts can't be driven through gate houses.

The mine on-deed would take up a lot of space, just the entrance would need to be at least 4x3, possibly 5x3 or more depending how deep it ends up being just to get a good path down.

What I was thinking with the mine entrance off to the side would be maybe digging right into the cliff outside the deed (well, the cliff we've created lol) and then down and straight to make a little flat area a bit lower. Then to the left and right we could dig down, down, flat. Then turn back toward deed area with down, down flat. That would give us the initial slope from the tunnel + 5 more tiles of it. Think that would be enough to go under? If not maybe expand out another tile from the deed before turning. We could still have a 15x15 area under the deed mined out, the entrance would just be right off-deed. We could always expand the deed by 1 tile and make another wall layer all the way around right above the mine entrance with a third palisade gate if we wanted to. The ramp going to the deeded area under the town would be off-deed - would that be ok as long as we reinforced all the cave walls?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43