Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Pumps and Artefacts  (Read 1226 times)

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Pumps and Artefacts
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

Alright, I've figured out how destroy what displeases me, now I need some advice on how to build stuff. First of all, I'm looking to screw-pump water up from my interal reservoir several Z-levels to create a waterfall in my dining hall (What can I say? I'm putz). It mentions that the pumps need power, which will be tough because the pump at the bottom level is going to be submerged. How does one chain those pumps up 3 or 4 levels, and how does one power them effectively? I have a brook I can dig into, but the axels would need to travel a long way.

Second, I've got a lot of Artefacts, but they're not convienent like furnature. How does one assign a craft-type Artefact? I ask because my newest Legendary just created Raceddrunken, a 90,000* flute (Yeah. I was surprised), and my mayor's bitching about his lackluster dining room.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Pumps and Artefacts
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JacobGreyson:
<STRONG>It mentions that the pumps need power, which will be tough because the pump at the bottom level is going to be submerged. How does one chain those pumps up 3 or 4 levels, and how does one power them effectively? I have a brook I can dig into, but the axels would need to travel a long way.</STRONG>

Well, you can use dwarven labor, which is nice because it's a good way to train stats and keep idle dwarves employed, but of course it isn't as continuous or reliable (dwarves are always stopping the pump to get drunk), and it won't work if the pump is submerged (glub, glub, glub).

So your other options are wind and water power.  Check the wiki for decent guides on getting them set up.  Worst case scenario (no wind on your map, long way to the brook) remember that you can hook waterwheels up in serial (ie, if you build waterwheels 4-wide across your brook, they are connected and produce 4x the power).

quote:
<STRONG>Second, I've got a lot of Artefacts, but they're not convienent like furnature. How does one assign a craft-type Artefact? I ask because my newest Legendary just created Raceddrunken, a 90,000* flute (Yeah. I was surprised), and my mayor's bitching about his lackluster dining room.</STRONG>

You can't place non-furniture on the map like that, even if it's an artifact.  The only real use for those artifact flutes are as trade goods.  As for your noble rooms, engraving walls and floors works wonders for room value, especially if you make sure only your top engravers are working.  You'll probably still need some decorated furniture, but engraving softens the blow.

Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

Moods and artifact creation as a result of them is completely random. I just had a carpenter go fey on me and build my first artifact bed ever, usually I end up with crafts, or veils, or various other useless things that just sit in my stockpile waiting to get traded away, it's a matter of chance and time.

That said, you can always get DF Companion and force strange moods upon your dwarves, but what they produce is still completely random.

As for hooking up multiple screw pumps together that is something I still haven't gotten to work right and as far as I can tell distance does not affect power.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

Distance does affect power, albeit indirectly.  Axles consume 1 unit of power per tile of length, gearboxes consume 5 units of power, etc.  I don't think you can hook multiple screw pumps together (at least, not power-wise), I was talking about hooking multiple waterwheels together to provide more power if his screw pumps were really far away from his brook.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

I'd recomment this article on the wiki for an explanation how pumps work. Good luck, it took me a long time to figure it out.    ;)

You may also look at the map of my fortress (it uses custom graphics, I hope it's not confusing). I have several pumps bringing water flom below to an waterfall. When the map loads, just scroll left and a bit up and you'll see a channel full of water. That's the level just above the waterfall.

Brown barrels by the water are pumps. Brown diamonds are gears. Notice that I have all pump connected via gears (gear work even through layers, if you channel the ground first and then built the gear on top of the empty space). The gears and axles lead up to the surface, where they connect to 8 windmills. The placement of my pumps is messy and chaotic, but they work. Hope it helps.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Jiri Petru ]

Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

One can connect both Waterwheels and Screwpumps together to create chains of machinery without the need for additional gear assemblies or axles. Simply make sure the parts that receives power are next to each other e.g.

code:

~~|~~
~wWw~
~~~~~

could become
code:

~~|~~
~wWw~
~wWw~
~~~~~

and so on to infinity (or at least as long as your map)

for screw pumps it's a similar endeavor,

code:

oo ~
PP w
pp-W
.. W
 ~

To connect multiple z-levels of pumps you could stack them as so
[code]
z-1 (pumps from south)
o
P
p

z-0
P
p
o
[code]
the ONE thing to keep in mind is that the P (the darker green X in the game) must be over the p (lighter green X), again this can be repeated indefinitely.

Legend:
~ - (deep, +5 or so) water
| - axle
w - waterwheel
W - waterwheel where axles connect
P - Pump, water comes out here,
p - pump mechanisms, power goes in here
o - where the water is directed
. - channeled area, where water enters; or open floor to z -= 1

Also that article is awesome, but confusing to me, and I already know how they work!
Hope this simplified example helps!    :)

Edit the second: Noticed I didn't answer the multiple z-level pump thing.
[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Surma ]

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Surma ]