Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible to disable migrants without disabling births?  (Read 3926 times)

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible to disable migrants without disabling births?
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:29:06 am »

I'm interested in playing as a band of settlers, is this possible?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Possible to disable migrants without disabling births?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:33:25 am »

The first two migrant waves are hard coded, but you could get rid of every other wave by setting the pop cap to 1 in folder: data : init

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:04:03 am »

The first two migrant waves are hard coded, but you could get rid of every other wave by setting the pop cap to 1 in folder: data : init

This is precisely what I do. Makes the game more of a challenge.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52:01 am »

I think it would make the game a bit easier. you don't start getting strange moods until you hit pop 20. And I think the same thing might be true about goblin ambushes.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:59:28 am »

I think it would make the game a bit easier. you don't start getting strange moods until you hit pop 20. And I think the same thing might be true about goblin ambushes.

You will almost always have a Population of 20 after the initial two waves of migrants, which are hard coded into the game and cannot be disabled.

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:27 am »

You will almost always have a Population of 20 after the initial two waves of migrants, which are hard coded into the game and cannot be disabled.

Well the chance of getting 12 migrants total from the first two waves is still a possibility, and Titans + sieges will be a long way away :P

All in personal preferences really ;)

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:46 am »

Won't this disable births though?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:31 am »

That has a different init setting, so no

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 10:30:15 am »

No. POPULATION_CAP is a "soft" cap. That's when Migrants stop coming. There's a separate entry in d_init to disable births.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:30:45 am »

As long as the pop cap doesn't disable birth you should be able to get to all the sieges. Although slowly.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 10:35:48 am »

Specifically, what you are looking for are the following entries in \DwarfFortress\data\init\d_init.txt

You can set the maximum population of your fortress here.  Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.

[POPULATION_CAP:200]

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

So if you change population cap to a low number (anything less than 15 will almost always stop migrant waves, setting it to one will result in no migrants EVER).

The baby cap will slow down or halt the rate of "natural" growth.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:16:24 pm »

I never figured out what the 100:1000 numbers mean. Does it mean theres a limit of 100 babies and 1,000 children?  Say everything goes well and don't get attacked, will your population keep going up from births forever? How does the baby and child cap figure into this?

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 08:20:10 pm »

the pop cap is only counting immigrants, children born on site do not count towards your pop cap, so the pop cap will have no effect on them.

As far the 100:1000 is concerned, from what I understand it is works like this.

the first number is the hard cap on babys and children, so you can not have more than 100 babys and children in your fort at one time. The 1000 is supposed to indicate the percentage or ratio of adults to children, but I am not sure on exactly what it is measuring. So this means that the 100:1000 is actually 2 caps on children, one absolute, one in %.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »

the first number is the hard cap on babys and children, so you can not have more than 100 babys and children in your fort at one time. The 1000 is supposed to indicate the percentage or ratio of adults to children, but I am not sure on exactly what it is measuring. So this means that the 100:1000 is actually 2 caps on children, one absolute, one in %.

This, basically.

The pop cap is the number where the game will no longer send you migrants. So setting it to 1 will prevent all but the 2 hard-coded migrant waves.

The first number for babies/children is the maximum total number of babies and children in your fort at one time. Essentially it's a cap similar to the one on migrant waves. After you have 100 babies and children then your dwarves stop getting pregnant until one becomes an adult.

The second number is a cap that allows you to control what fraction of your fort is comprised of babies/children. The setting of 1000% essentially means you can have an all-child fort. If a person were to change it to 10% then the game would stop pregnancies after 10% of the total population is children. 90 adults and 10 children/babies, for example.

To get a fortress reliant totally on children, the solution is to set your population cap to 1. This will prevent migrants after your first 2 waves.
Then set your child cap to something high like 9001, and leave the percentage at 1000. This will make sure that your dwarves are always breeding.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:44:26 pm »

Oh, thanks for explaining this. So 1,000 percentage means you can have 10 children for every adult. if you change it to 100, you could have 1 child per adult. If it is 10, you could only have 1 child per 10 adults. Did I get that right?
Pages: [1] 2