Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion  (Read 1327 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:37:38 am »

The beta is out! It's been out for a couple of days. You can only play the two TEC sides but all of the improvements are pretty awesome. Who else is playing and what are your thoughts?

I am worried, however, that the titan will be somewhat game breaking, since there's not much that can stop it, so I'm wondering how that's going to work on a big map if your titans are on the opposite sides and you get attacked.

If you want the beta you can pre order now, $40 for first time players and $30 if you already have the other Sins games. This is not advertised too much but Rebellion includes the original and the two mini expansions. I don't know how long the beta will last so buy now :P
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:43:12 am »

I haven't really been following the development of Rebellion. What are the notable new features? What makes it more interesting then the previous SoaSE? I liked the game but got bored of it pretty quickly and even though I'm curious about the expansion, I don't know if it adds enuogh to interest me again :P

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:45:46 am »

I don't know if I want to get this. I bought the whole thing thinking that there was going to be no more expansions (nothing had come out for ages), only to have an expansion announced a week later.

What I have played from diplomacy so far is great, but I don't know about these new features and if they are worth my moneys...

Like Shadow, I too got bored of this game very quickly, although this game still has my interest as something noteworthy.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:48:30 am »

Well it splits the three sides into loyalist and rebel factions (hence the rebellion) which I think are pretty distinct. Loyalist TEC are defensive isolationists and their late game research is things like having two star bases in one gravity well, whereas rebel TEC can recruit pirates or become allies with the neutral ships that defend unclaimed planets. The titans are super capital ships combined with star bases and more other kinds of ships have been added. Basically it splits the three sides from the other games into 6 sides that are more distinct, which I think makes it much more interesting, although the beta only has the two TEC sides.

I think the problem of getting bored with the game will be alleviated somewhat because the different sides have more unique and interesting strategies at their disposal than any of the other sides did before.

* And there's alot of general improvements to graphics and performance, which I really appreciate and think go a long way towards making the game more enjoyable, but I don't know if they'll make a huge difference to any of you
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:52:59 am by metime00 »
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:04:09 am »

Damn, can't I buy it on its own? I already have SoaSE and the first two expansions...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:06:27 am »

Well it is on it's own, it doesn't come with a copy of the other games per se, it just doesn't need them at all.