Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave adaptation - reversable or not?  (Read 1250 times)

Malek Deneith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave adaptation - reversable or not?
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

Question as per topic - can someone tell me if it is possible to reverse cave adaptation by exposing my dwarves to sulight long enough, or should I leave ones that caought it already alone and try to save those that don't  :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Cave adaptation - reversable or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

I don't believe it is currently possible to cure cave adaptation.  They'll stay that way.

Rather than trying to split your fortress into "sunnies" and "cavies", just move 'em all underground.  There are no adverse effects if everyone just stays out of the light.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

my solution to the problem:

dig a giant hole which leads from the ground to your booze stockpile, as everyone goes there from time to time. make the hole big, and put walls around it on the outside so archers cant fire on your boozers.

een failing lately?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

I did that with my dining hall, so that all the laborers would get some sun now and then. The only downside is since nobles don't normally eat there, so they do get cave-adapt. Thus, whenever a noble walks into the commoner's dining hall, the first thing he does is vomit at them. I decided to keep it like that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

Or you make glass block ceiling like a Greenhouse

Actually a bridge might work as well because if you channel out the roof it makes the tiles under it light, a bridge over it will stop the direct sunlight thing, anyone know if you actually need outside to stop cave adaption or just be in a room with light? Raising the bridge might work as well.

Of course you should have the glass blocks roof because your dwarves deserve the best (and be constantly interuppted by that skeletal giant eagle which can't reach them but still scare them)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:19:00 am »

Actually, my experience seems to show that cave adaptation is reversible, it just takes a while.

I stationed five swordmasters outside when the human caravan arrived (a bunch of goblin ambushers came), and have kept them outside constantly for more than a season (the dwarven caravan just left, so I think it's been from early summer-late autumn).

When I started, they were puking all the time, and constantly 'nauseated by the sun.'  Now none of them are nauseated, a couple of them are 'irritated' and the rest don't have any issues at all.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

What about fortifications and/or windows? Will those let in the light sufficiently to prevent cave adaptation?

kamikazemoose

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>I did that with my dining hall, so that all the laborers would get some sun now and then. The only downside is since nobles don't normally eat there, so they do get cave-adapt. Thus, whenever a noble walks into the commoner's dining hall, the first thing he does is vomit at them. I decided to keep it like that.</STRONG>

My experience with building above ground tells me dining room components like chairs and tables are not possivle to build where there is no roof. Where there floor (roof thing) over or what? (maybe I'm just wrong