Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghost logic  (Read 738 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Ghost logic
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:57:32 am »

As I understand correctly, ghosts can open doors, even those linked to levers, and some can pull levers.
This can be applied to make logic gate loops of utter randomness, using doors and water. A ghost opening a door or pulling a lever would allow/force water to flow in another direction.

Remains the question: will a ghost move through 7/7 water (to open submerged doors)?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ghost logic
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:10:20 pm »

Remains the question: will a ghost move through 7/7 water (to open submerged doors)?

If they can do it in magma, they can do it in water.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »

I've never heard of them pulling a lever, definitely never seen one do so.

Ghosts tend to haunt particular people or places, so it's unlikely they'll be moving through 7/7 water unless that's where they died.  If you want to take advantage of ghosts' movement, you really have to observe the ghost carefully to pick up its patterns, and then build around what you see.

But I can't imagine why you'd want to base your logic around something as finnicky as a ghost.  I mean, fish open doors too, why not just use a fish?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »

Fish also dont tend to move through floors and walls as they see fit.
This is a blank sig.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:53:18 pm »

There's a whole variety of ghosts. Some haunt, some pull levers and open doors, some murder.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.