Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Periodic give water jobs?  (Read 1493 times)

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Periodic give water jobs?
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:26:29 am »

Anyone else noticed a recurring theme of give water jobs cropping up in the fort?  Followed one of my water givers around, and while I can't be sure, I think he was giving water to some dwarf's baby.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Periodic give water jobs?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:13 am »

Normal.  How's your booze stock?

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:43 am »

1000 and climbing.  I'm digging a second storage area.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:34:18 am »

Some dwarves are such hard workers that they'll continue to work until they're pretty thirsty. Some dwarves are so compassionate that they'll attempt to water any dwarf who gets thirsty enough. Incidents of both such dwarves existing in the same fort results in the latter type occasionally watering the former, even if there's plentiful booze available. This is arguably a good thing, because it results in the working dwarves working longer, but might also cause happiness problems (and in theory if it went on too long they might slow down from alcohol deprivation).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:36:06 am »

Actually, I've only observed unconscious dwarves to be watered.  It's possible that a dwarf will go to sleep, then become thirsty, and a bucket will be brought despite the booze count.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:36:28 am »

The only reason I was wondering about the baby, is because the water-bearer went straight to the dwarf mother in my booze stockpile who was joyfully guzzling away (with about 20 other dwarves).

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 12:40:47 am »

Actually, I've only observed unconscious dwarves to be watered.  It's possible that a dwarf will go to sleep, then become thirsty, and a bucket will be brought despite the booze count.

Dwarves that are working on a task set to repeat will definitely be given water when they get thirsty. Masons that are set to make blocks continuously are especially prone to this.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:14:58 am »

Dwarves that are working on a task set to repeat will definitely be given water when they get thirsty. Masons that are set to make blocks continuously are especially prone to this.

I can confirm this. Generaly, i have at least 5 masons on blocks/repeat, and i often get a large ammount of Cancels give water Errors. Generaly, its gue to a lack of buckets.

However, i have yet to observe if the buckets ever get to the masons.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:18:36 am »

Aye, I'm familiar with this, but I'm not getting cancel water messages, and after following one of the water bearers around, the only thing I spotted about the dwarf target in the booze room was that she was a mother.

Just had a mother fill a water bucket, march in there, and complete her task, either the dwarf drinking booze was the target, or she just stood next to him and gave the water to her baby.  Not sure which.

How long does it take for that "needs alcohol to get through the working day" message to change to whatever it is when they haven't had a drink in awhile.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 01:22:47 am »

Ya, I see it a lot when I have massive work projects occuring...

Slightly off topic, is there ever a situation where you DON'T want the stone as a block? Noticed JB had 5 masons always making blocks, I've never done that cuz I wasn't sure if anything needed stone that WASN'T a block.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:37:21 am »

Ya, I see it a lot when I have massive work projects occuring...

Slightly off topic, is there ever a situation where you DON'T want the stone as a block? Noticed JB had 5 masons always making blocks, I've never done that cuz I wasn't sure if anything needed stone that WASN'T a block.

Yes. Blocks can be used like plain stone as a basic material for buildings and constructions, but stone items, notably mechanisms, can only be made from plain stone.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:46:39 am by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 07:13:33 pm »

The only reason I was wondering about the baby, is because the water-bearer went straight to the dwarf mother in my booze stockpile who was joyfully guzzling away (with about 20 other dwarves).

Giving dwarven babies water?  You have a child-abuser in your fortress.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 07:59:00 pm »

I've seen dwarves take water buckets to my miners while they are busy digging before.  It doesn't happen often, however.  The annoying part for me is the bucket almost always gets left behind in the tile the watered the dwarf in.  Nothing quite like having all your buckets scattered about in the mines ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:32 am »

I've seen dwarves take water buckets to my miners while they are busy digging before.  It doesn't happen often, however.  The annoying part for me is the bucket almost always gets left behind in the tile the watered the dwarf in.  Nothing quite like having all your buckets scattered about in the mines ...

In my case, they all appear to be in the booze stockpile.  Pattern still appears to revolve around mothers and babies.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 06:16:53 am »

In my case, they all appear to be in the booze stockpile.  Pattern still appears to revolve around mothers and babies.

Perhaps since the mother is buisy, and noone is watering the baby, someone else takes up the duty?
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.
Pages: [1] 2