Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shallow world?  (Read 641 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shallow world?
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:23:56 pm »

So 3 years in I'm getting bored, figure let's tap the caverns and magma sea (cuz I've been focusing on self sustainability first).

So I did down, hit the first cavern at z97. Lock a hatch over that borehole, move over a bit, and continue. Hit the next cavern at z2, think, huh. 95 z-levels, guess I missed one. Keep digging, figuring I'll go back later. Hit the 3rd cavern at z-10. Top of the magma sea at z-18. Bottom of the world is z-29.

Is it possible to have a 4th cavern, or will that 95 z-levels between cavern 1 and 2 be entirely solid rock?

Do more z-levels appear once you breach hell, or  is the magma sea and hell really only 10 z-levels thick?

And lastly, I've not gotten any ambushes or sieges, civ screen doesn't mention goblins... Did I accidentally hit a less fun embark? lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Shallow world?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:27:43 pm »

Make sure it actually WAS 95 z-levels. If there's a big cliff just above where you're digging, the z-levels will adjust to a different z-0 in that particular spot.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:38 pm »

Make sure it actually WAS 95 z-levels. If there's a big cliff just above where you're digging, the z-levels will adjust to a different z-0 in that particular spot.

Not... 100%... sure what you mean... The caverns floor was at z-level 97 according to the little number thing in the lower right corner, dropping down through the levels the next cavern is Z-level 2. They were digging straight down from a short hallway off the ground level of my fort.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »

rtg593, you've got it correct.  The number in the bottom right is the absolute z-level indicator.  The one in the upper right is the z-level depth relative to the surface, which is the one he's referring to.  I find the relative one is not really useful, to me anyway.

To answer your question, unless you specifically genned a world with 4 or more caverns, the default worlds genned will only have 3 cavern levels.  It is entirely possible (and all to common, unfortunately -_-) that those 95 layers are all solid rock/minerals.  Which, i mean.... I guess that could lead to a giant super fortress?  Jack your population cap to 1000+ and report your results :p

Or mentally prepare yourself for a LOOOOOTTTTT of pumps.  Ugh.  I feel for you.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:37 pm »

rtg593, you've got it correct.  The number in the bottom right is the absolute z-level indicator.  The one in the upper right is the z-level depth relative to the surface, which is the one he's referring to.  I find the relative one is not really useful, to me anyway.

To answer your question, unless you specifically genned a world with 4 or more caverns, the default worlds genned will only have 3 cavern levels.  It is entirely possible (and all to common, unfortunately -_-) that those 95 layers are all solid rock/minerals.  Which, i mean.... I guess that could lead to a giant super fortress?  Jack your population cap to 1000+ and report your results :p

Or mentally prepare yourself for a LOOOOOTTTTT of pumps.  Ugh.  I feel for you.

... Hey, there's a relative z-level indicator in the upper right! lol

Ya... lotta pumps, or magma piston... Haven't decided. I like the permanent flow-e-ness of a pump stack, personally. Probably make a pseudo volcano, 11x11 square carved out all the way down, stop two shy, channel 5 holes into the magma sea, place 5 pumps, enclose them (mostly), and then build a pump stack off the center one all the way up. Seems like a dwarfy enough mega project:-D

Once that's up, run a line under the brook to heat it, prevent it from being frozen 9 months a year (read you can do that, somewhere)... Build some magma forges... hmmm... What to do, what to do...