Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: xXClothingXx Reaction Idea.  (Read 2764 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
xXClothingXx Reaction Idea.
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:14:33 pm »

Sorry if this has been brought up sometime before, but I just got struck by an idea.

If xXclothingXx is just lying around, why not make a workshop that has reaction for fixing those ? Take any cloth sock, take thread/cloth, create a new sock based on the material of the old one. I haven quite thought it through, how to restrict it to worn out clothing for example, but in theory the old item gets destroyed, and a new item is created.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: xXClothingXx Reaction Idea.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »

There's no way to require an item of a certain quality in a reaction.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:27:43 pm »

But you could make a custom reaction that required one clothing item of any sort, and then used a soap and a clothing item to make a generic fabric or the same clothing item.

And then you'd just have to keep only the terrible worn out clothes in a stockpile by the workshop.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »

Unfortunately yeah, basic problem is that you can't specify quality or deterioration, so you can't say "fetch a worn sock and produce a new sock" because that's not supported.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:50:44 pm »

Also most wornout stuff is claimed by a dwarf, thus impossible to get your hands on.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »

Well, it was just an idea. Guess it would create a loop anyway, since it creates a new item that itself can use in the next reaction ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:59:56 pm »

Yea there is that :P shame dwarves just didn't disgard clothes that are wornout and grab a new pair.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:10 pm »

How about this instead:
Create a "unsew" tag, similar to the "melt" tag for metal. Clothing tagged with unsew (Regardless of ownership) will be taken to the workshop and the "good bits" saved. After so many are unsewn you get a bolt of cloth.

Lets you destroy all that clothes, gives you something for it..and then maybe we could have dwarves taking new clothes again.
I'd also make it so that dwarves would take ragged clothes off other dwarves to unsew them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:06 pm »

That would require changes to the actual game source code.  Not something we can do with modding.  And if you're changing the game source code, it would probably be easier to have dwarves give up ownership of clothing that is too worn to wear anymore
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:07:41 am »

Though I do have a problem with worn out clothes when guys die in my fire and magma traps, and their clothing that would be otherwise valuable is burnt to a crisp, and having a way to make that more valuable might be nice.

The workshop that would transform clothing into cloth would do that, but clothing into clothing would create a feedback loop of waste like you said.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:34:56 am »

Well, the solution in my mod is simple. Remove all clothing. Done, no more problems. Then add a few "hard" clothing types, for people who want to create them. Dwarves will wear them, they never get worn of... and invaders/migrants/traders arrive without those, keeping clutter down.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 02:30:55 am »

Well, the solution in my mod is simple. Remove all clothing. Done, no more problems. Then add a few "hard" clothing types, for people who want to create them. Dwarves will wear them, they never get worn of... and invaders/migrants/traders arrive without those, keeping clutter down.
Will they put them on without drafting them into militia?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 08:09:55 pm »

Though I do have a problem with worn out clothes when guys die in my fire and magma traps, and their clothing that would be otherwise valuable is burnt to a crisp, and having a way to make that more valuable might be nice.

The workshop that would transform clothing into cloth would do that, but clothing into clothing would create a feedback loop of waste like you said.

Clothing into cloth wouldn't create a feedback loop. Taking a xxsockxx and creating a regular sock would create a feedback loop. Since you can't specific the quality level to work on they would keep working on the same sock. If they turn 10 socks into a piece of cloth there is no feedback loop there.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:02 pm »

Clothing into cloth wouldn't create a feedback loop. Taking a xxsockxx and creating a regular sock would create a feedback loop. Since you can't specific the quality level to work on they would keep working on the same sock. If they turn 10 socks into a piece of cloth there is no feedback loop there.

Sorry to Necro an old post... but I thought this was more relevant to the thought process here, instead of trying to reproduce this line of thought in a new post.   Could this be done by linking the refuse stockpile (with thrown away clothing) to the theoretical clothing repair shop, and source it that way? 

That would stop it from creating a clothing loop.  and maybe, for a more realistic approach, have the workshop just produce cloth from these sources, instead of trying to refurbish old socks into new socks?
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

Possible, but player dependend. The user would have to micro this for himself. And you are looking though my old posts ^^

Best solution would be to use lua/C++ and the new dfhack r2 to link this to an plugin.
Pages: [1] 2