Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gender and caste question  (Read 852 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gender and caste question
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:11:03 pm »

I understand how the castes work in regard to gender, having made a creature before where the genders are vastly different.  But how do you make a creature with different castes that can be either gender?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Gender and caste question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:38 pm »

make four castes

(male type 1)
(female type 1)
(male type 2)
(female type 2)

sorta like that i guess...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:42:06 pm »

Once when using Runesmith I accidently changed a peasants gender when looking at there misc. tab.  I didn't figure this out until I checked one of my companions relationships and found that she was married to the peasant.(She was also her/his aunt and the peasant was 12, so that was a weird relationship anyways) Because of modding I had clear evidence that it didn't change his/her caste, so I used Runesmith to change him back.

Why that's relevant is with the new interactions system that could be done in reverse.  Has anyone checked to see if caste changed individuals can have kids?  Are Female and Male tags that can be added/removed?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:52:39 pm »

Not the tags themselves, but you can transform creatures into a different caste.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:43 am »

What happens if two dwarves are married, and the husband becomes a woman? (Males don't give birth, so if the opposite happened neither would give birth, but would two married women both give birh?)

...Oh, god, what's happened to me? I wasn't always this crazy!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 03:58:24 pm »

What happens if two dwarves are married, and the husband becomes a woman? (Males don't give birth, so if the opposite happened neither would give birth, but would two married women both give birh?)

...Oh, god, what's happened to me? I wasn't always this crazy!
That was actually the case, but since it was adventure mode, there was no pregnancy, if pregnancy does occur in fort mode it would mean that spores aren't exclusive. 
Spoilered for potential squick!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:12:33 pm »

make four castes

(male type 1)
(female type 1)
(male type 2)
(female type 2)

sorta like that i guess...

Note that you can use the USE_CASTE tag to copy an existing caste and make a new caste based on it.

Code: [Select]
[USE_CASTE:NEW_CASTE:OLD_CASTE]