Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf hippies complain about the draft.  (Read 990 times)

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
Dwarf hippies complain about the draft.
« on: March 02, 2012, 08:56:46 pm »

So I got a handful of dwarfs who are unhappy because they complain about the long patrols and drafts. Currently I have the schedule as a lenient on month off month of training and even then only 6 members are required to train out of 10.

Are my dwarfs hippie pansies or should I do something to improve their moral? I guess I could put statues in the barracks and smooth everything out to see if that helps.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf hippies complain about the draft.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:14 pm »

All new recruits and low-skill soldiers will complain about patrol duty and being brought up to active duty. The easiest way to get rid of this is to train them up, at which point they will prefer to be on duty. Also, having them kill things, even random animals, will give them the 'took joy in slaughter' bonus to happiness.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »

Hrm... That gives me an idea. I have about 25 goblins in cages. I think I am going to move the barracks into the cage room.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »

Also I noticed my recruits don't get happy thoughts about the grand dining hall like the other dwarfs. Is there anyway to make them eat there or are they just stuck with carrying their food around.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:30:33 pm »

In the military menus, the s(u)pplies screen lets you tell your soldiers how much food and what type of drink to carry. If they're told not to carry any food, they won't, and will eat in the dining hall like everyone else.

Anyway, they're probably unhappy about the draft due to your one month on one month off schedule. It takes about 1 1/2 months to get to novice in a weapon skill in my experience assuming 2-man training squads, so that schedule causes them to take that hit twice instead of the one time they would if you had them on a two months on one month off schedule. Of course, since you foolishly aren't using 2-man training squads, they're taking even longer to get decent skills and so are taking the happiness hit from becoming a recruit even more, but again the more rigorous schedule would probably help their happiness.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:15:01 pm »

Train them intensively in small squads and give them nice personal bedrooms near the barracks. The bedrooms will give a general mood boost, and the intensive traing gives them good thoughts about sparring and also means less time until they become skilled enough to stop complaining about long duty.

If they're told not to carry any food, they won't, and will eat in the dining hall like everyone else.
Only if they're inactive when they decide to eat. Otherwise they go and stand over the stockpile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:09 am »

since you foolishly aren't using 2-man training squads, they're taking even longer to get decent skills and so are taking the happiness hit from becoming a recruit even more, but again the more rigorous schedule would probably help their happiness.

This, oh so much. Even letting a novice into a 3-dwarf legendary squad helps much more than having a 2/3-dwarf squad of novices.