Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Heroes and generals. Interesting mix of multiplayer macro strategy and FPS.  (Read 23606 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Does anyone have experience with this? Do you need to download massive amounts of stuff after you login for the first time? I installed a plugin, but that was it.

When you log in a little downloader program pops up and starts downloading the game. While you can't play anything until the download is finished, you can still look at the map, chat with other people and get a feel for the different menus (and groan at the cost of everything). Assuming that your internet connection is good and the servers aren't terribly slow (always a possibility in Beta) the download should be finished in... thirty minutes? It didn't take very long to download for me, but it has been a while and I'm not terribly sure. Bring a book to read or something, and the time just flies by.

Also what side are you thinking of joining? The Allies always seem understaffed when I'm playing, but in between days they seem to roll back a lot of the German gains.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I got in the game on Friday...  night.  Pretty interesting, dying and killing stuff has consequences.  As in...

You destroy a tank, the enemy has one less tank till they run out.  Apparently, the tank ticket is used when it is spawned, but either way, destroy it and the enemy will bring out another if they could... because tank.
You die, 1 less soldier, till you run out.... and that will result in a loss.
Reinforcements mid-battle is possible.
Depending on where reinforcements come from, a new entry point can be opened up mid-battle.
An entry point can be permanently cut off mid battle if it is taken by the enemy.  If it is the last entry point, you lose. (Or it could be cut off by virtue of the squads that spawn from there all running out of reserves...)

Infantry is king... and pawn.  Without them, you will lose, but, they(as in you) can be cut to pieces when faced against anti-infantry units.  They are the backbone of the war...

Firefox works, if you don't want to use IE.  Latest versions of Chrome does not work for the FPS part, but will work for the campaign map.
You will need to download around... 700mb(?) when you first get in.

As for sides.. usually, Axis has all the veterans and what not...  recent wars ending in less then 24 hours.  This time around, a number of them switched over to the Allies, so the fighting seems a bit more even.  Actually, it feels like the Allies are pushing back, so I'm pretty glad I switched to Axis, since my two Assault Teams are actually making a contribution.  (Plus I can start battles and take towns with em.)
I personally switched to Axis so I could be carried in the FPS part, but yea, I may have gotten better... maybe.

Negative-ish parts? 
Credits is in-game money...  It is really hard to gather up for anything when you first start... and you start with only one weapon, a rifle.  Allies have one that is semi-auto, while the Axis has bolt action, but its got a longer range. 
If you absolutely suck like me when it comes to long range weapons... and seeing the enemy before they see you... yea, you'll have a rough time at it.  The alternative infantry weapon is an automatic smg.  I at least have a chance with the smg...
Now, credits are hard to earn early on because you may start with a weapon you suck horribly at and... you get less pay per battle/merits in battle since you are low rank.  When you rank up more, you get paid more per battle/merits in battle.

Also, character in Axis does not carry over to Allies and vice versa.  They each have their own inventory of gear and rank/experience.  The Assault Team does carry over though.
Modification of gear is costly for a low ranker.  50% durability of the mod = 50% upfront cost for the gear mod.

(I paid for the gold, allowing me to get this far and not ragequit from a weapon I absolutely fail at.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:53:38 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I should fire this up again. Mates and I (from World of Tanks) have great interest in running a German Heavy Tank Battalion in H&G. :D
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

I kind of need my WW2 stuff to be realistic. As soon as I got into a plane, I grimaced in horror :(

It's definitely mostly an arcadish FPS, though it does provide combined arms, which is really nice. But I do wish they'd make it more realistic...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, can't have it all.

An update on the game, it has a link to a beta video or some such.

I find myself just sitting in the campaign map and trying to point people at places and suggest stuff like AT movement, at least for those who ask.  (Lack of leadership in Axis now since it seems everyone and their mother moved to Alliance cause of the imbalance.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes and generals. Interesting mix of multiplayer macro strategy and FPS.
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 06:04:11 pm »

It seems like there's a semi-open beta event occurring for now - I got an email regarding a stress test yesterday, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Rise from the depths! Rise!

I've randomly been playing this lately, the series of patches since I last really tried to play seem to have really solidified the game in a lot of respects, its a lot more sensible in how progression works it seems.

Mainly playing my Tanker soldier of course, the tanker line starts you out with a Panzer IA  which is kinda shit honestly, but just unlocked the Panzer II which might be better. (Hey at least in this you have infantry to shoot at!)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for reminding me of the game! Awesome experience as a wannabe sniper with starting rifle (till i get money to buy the 2nd one).

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile

Ah, I used to play this for a bit. Till I realized that once I got out of the infantry battles, it fucked my PC up. For whatever reason, when I toss tanks and planes into the mix. My FPS just drops down to nonexistence.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been a good 2 years since I last played this, so after seeing this thread it seemed like a good time to see what they've done with the game. At this point I can't give a proper overview of the game and how it's changed, but I can tell you that right now they are going to drive away most of their new players.

When you make a new account you are ranked as a "Tier 0" player. What this means is that you are barred from participating in the campaign and real battles until you get to (don't quote me on this, I'm probably wrong) Tier 3; instead you are stuck in a small list of randomly generated battles with other new players. Having played the game before, this makes perfect sense: Since it's free to play you don't want people mass signing up for accounts and screwing up the campaign. The problem is that there's absolutely no indication to new players that they are stuck at the kiddy table or WHY they're stuck there.

There is no real tutorial (The "First Blood" scenario that the developers lauded as a tutorial is extremely bugged for me and wasn't even offered to me right away), the game in no way introduces the strategic component, and the random computer generated battles have absolutely no sense of balance. My very first kiddy table battle was junk infantry vs two companies of tank destroyers. It was a slaughter: My entire team got a total of two kills. In the normal game that would be understandable because you have the strategic element to give that unbalanced battle context (you understand the overall front and you know you're going to lose it so you attempt to damage as much armor as possible, objectives be damned).

Every kiddy table battle I've played so far has been a revolving door of players saying "This game is terrible" and quitting halfway through. The newb matches are absolutely abysmal and, because they're restricted to completely brand new players, have no veteran players there to coordinate teams or help newbies learn the game. If I'd never played H&G before I would have uninstalled by this point; the only reason I'm still playing is because I loved the strategic component and want to see how its progressed.

TL;DR: Your first few battles are probably going to suck really hard and may not represent how the actual game is played.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, how did I not find this game earlier. Consider me addicted.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile

Interest seems to have picked up a lot. Anyone playing US that wants to make a squad?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile

Hmm. Sure. I can try picking the game back up. I'll fiddle around with some more shit and see if I can get it actually running semi decently.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile

Jesus, all I've seen from the Germans today is tanks. 16v16 and they have 5 tanks at one cap point, and at least 3 at another. Kinda hard to kill them when they have the panzer spawns locked down.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile

Wow. They updated it since I lasted played. I can actually play now. And they added in a few new guns it seems.  Monoac, I'm Xardalas in game. Drop me  a invite.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7