Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Heroes and generals. Interesting mix of multiplayer macro strategy and FPS.  (Read 23613 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried out the alpha earlier today. Maybe it's my video card or something, since the University internet is fantastic, but the lag was high enough to be pretty bothersome. I was able to ride around on a bicycle for several minutes, crash it, and then explode and die, so it does have that going for it.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Well, that was fast. I already got my Alpha Key. Now to see what this game is like (and attempt my bicycle-mounted anti-tank idea).

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WWIIOL have most of that (no bicycles :( ) and by first impression is much more realistic. "Vehicles now have a feeling of more weight" - I dropped from a chair since he says so and video shows jumping stug. Strategic part looks interesting tho!

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got my Alpha Key and have been messing about for the past few days. The game is pretty impressive for something in Alpha, and it seems to have a lot of potential. The barebones strategic component is very exciting, and it's fun to see its direct impact on the battles. Also, I was particularly impressed with how the devs listen to and respond to the community (I've chatted with multiple devs every day I've been on at this point).

There is one gigantic, elephant in the room issue, though: The in-game community sucks and the devs listen to them.

The community seems to swing towards CoD players. Given how everything I've read about H&G strongly plays up the strategic elements of the game, it was very surprising to see the makeup of the current in-game community.
I literally saw some players asking the devs to remove the strategic part of the game because it was unbalancing battles (the whole point of strategy is to create imbalance and exploit it...). I've also seen many players in the forums and in-game supporting initiatives to make each side's weapons statistically identical reskins. To date, the devs have made some... questionable... balancing choices regarding tanks and guns; I'm hoping they are just stopgap measures for pre-beta before a tech tree or some such is put in, but it's fairly worrying.

There's a very real and concerning possibility that H&G could turn into a generic run-and-gun pea shooter CoD clone, and fade into obscurity without ever realizing any of its potential. I certainly haven't given up hope yet, but it genuinely seems like the devs haven't figured out what type of game they want to make H&G yet. Their actions in the next few months will be telling.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Question here: Are the players the only ones resolvign the battle or do they continue even without players engaging into the FPS part?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Got my Alpha Key and have been messing about for the past few days. The game is pretty impressive for something in Alpha, and it seems to have a lot of potential. The barebones strategic component is very exciting, and it's fun to see its direct impact on the battles. Also, I was particularly impressed with how the devs listen to and respond to the community (I've chatted with multiple devs every day I've been on at this point).

There is one gigantic, elephant in the room issue, though: The in-game community sucks and the devs listen to them.

The community seems to swing towards CoD players. Given how everything I've read about H&G strongly plays up the strategic elements of the game, it was very surprising to see the makeup of the current in-game community.
I literally saw some players asking the devs to remove the strategic part of the game because it was unbalancing battles (the whole point of strategy is to create imbalance and exploit it...). I've also seen many players in the forums and in-game supporting initiatives to make each side's weapons statistically identical reskins. To date, the devs have made some... questionable... balancing choices regarding tanks and guns; I'm hoping they are just stopgap measures for pre-beta before a tech tree or some such is put in, but it's fairly worrying.

There's a very real and concerning possibility that H&G could turn into a generic run-and-gun pea shooter CoD clone, and fade into obscurity without ever realizing any of its potential. I certainly haven't given up hope yet, but it genuinely seems like the devs haven't figured out what type of game they want to make H&G yet. Their actions in the next few months will be telling.
Ouch, that doesn't sound good.

I also registered for a key but haven't got it yet. Hopefully they don't muck it up too much.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am an alpha tester but have not had a lot of time to test it out. Did get to ride a halftrack yesterday honking at cyclist-soldiers, lol.

Coming from World of Tanks, my primary platoon mate and I plan to be crew of Wehrmacht Heavy Tank Battalions when the game goes live. :3
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I've got a key but keep forgetting to install this puppy and take it for a ride. Sad to hear the shooter crowd is trying to strip out the strategic elements and inherent imbalances. "German tanks and American tanks should be exactly the same, otherwise everyone will play Germans!"  ::)

Or...you make that Panzer V cost a hell of a lot more resources so the Americans can win by zerg rushing cheap tanks, like in real life.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pft all you people and your alpha keys and not using them.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is starving kids in Africa because we don't use every part of the alpha key.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Got my alpha key.

Found out how to change my install location.

Hopefully I get to use a tank or something along those lines. Or a bicycle, those work too. Until it finishes installing though, I shall watch these military icons move around Europe. You've got all these main forces running around here and there reinforcing existing battlefields while paratroopers operate behind the lines. It's all moving in real time so it's kinda cute to see.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

I've been playing it off and on for awhile now, has a long way to go but it has potential.

Did manage to drive a Tiger awhile back which was good fun but the camera controls for the tanks are very buggy and make using the tank a bit of a wanker.

I really hope they get the downloading system a bit more optimized and reliable too, it feels like it gets glitched out really easily.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

So bump...

Haven't played a lot but I just came across this.

A handful of players have reported, that running Microsoft’s Disk Cleanup tool, after installing Heroes & Generals, corrupted their Windows installation.

We have managed to reproduce the problem and can confirm that it is a bug in Microsoft’s Disk Cleanup tool, which is triggered if the full path of a file becomes longer than about 260 characters. As a result Disk Cleanup starts deleting things it should leave alone.

Well that's not good.

This actually affected me, luckily I was able to fix stuff without a full reinstall of everything, but wow I didn't know it was the cause. :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other games might have been affected by the same bug, but never had it detected.

So kudos to this developer!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

So they are stress testing the server today, and apparently I just got a Beta key for this.

The downside is that they're not allowing me to login and/or download data until the stress test starts, so I'm probably gonna have to download tons of stuff later. I foresee not being able to play today at all :(

It also doesn't work with chrome at the moment, so I'm having to use IE...

Does anyone have experience with this? Do you need to download massive amounts of stuff after you login for the first time? I installed a plugin, but that was it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7