Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The social status / hierarchy of dwarves  (Read 5945 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
The social status / hierarchy of dwarves
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:46:55 am »

How do you regard the hierarchy in dwarf mode? I don't mean who gets the best rooms and a personal zoo (because nobles demand them and get them even if we hate their guts) but rather who you think most highly of. Let's say... who you're most likely to build a temple to. In my forts it's ...

1. The dieties of the civilization
2. The founding 7.
3. The monarch
4. The captain of the guard & the militia commander
5. The elite soldiers & the militia captains
6. The families of the founding 7 (non-founding spouses, kids)
7. The baron & his family. Also the family of the monarch.
8. The mayor
9. Legendary workers
10. The guards
11. The fortress staff. (brokers, bookkeepers, chief medical dwarf, hammerer etc.)
12. Crippled war veterans.
13. Soldiers.
14. First immigration wave citizens or their children
15. Second immigration wave citizens or their children.
16. Third immigration wave etcetera ...
dead last: criminals & vampires ("criminals" can be anyone who has displeased me)

If a 10th wave immigrant marries a 2nd wave immigrant he/she will climb in social status. Their children will also have a higher status.
 In the rare event that a dwarf is genned with children but without a spouse; and if he can still take a new wife in this version; then the children from the old marriage will NOT climb the social ladder with their parent. The new fortress-born ones will be of higher status.
 of course the best way to climb the social ladder is to land yourself a notable military position. if you don't want to risk your life though you should try to marry into royalty or flirt with the founding fathers.
 I do not think lesser of cripples but I do think better of cripples of war.

So yeah. That's it! Do you guys think about these things at all or is it just me? :D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The social status / hierarchy of dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:53:03 am »

Those high enough in my hierarchy get a statue in their bedroom. The highest on my hierarchy happen to coincide with dwarves who are likely to get a statue made in their image. Those still noteworthy but who won't get their own statue get one of the foundation of the fortress. Typically the founding 7 (if they live long enough) end up with statues in their rooms but no guarantees.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:09:26 am »

:D  No, it's not just you. 

I have at various times labelled families with precedance numbers based on migration wave and/or when they had their first child in the fortress.   Children who immigrated did not count towards precedence, but they could get a high number if their parents quickly had another child in the fortress.  All children in a family got the highest number of their parents, if the parents were unequal in precedance.

I had originally tried to organize them by family, with quarters decorated with statues made of the founding parents' favorite materials, but that rapidly got into too many different lines.  Thus the deity clans.

Back when Dwarves only had one deity, I classed them into clans by deity.  If there was an appropriate correspondance between deities and professions, I force-fit them into a profession that matched their deity.  This resulted in clans which controlled professions.  Either way, the clans were matrilineal because at that time all children were born worshipping the deity of their mother.  Males married into clans and moved to those clan quarters. 

I was dithering about with more ways to define status when the version changed and I was back to trying to figure out how to survive.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:25 am »

Some legendary workers are considerably more legendary than others. A legendary weaponsmith/armoursmith is practically godlike in status, and I sometimes give them a personal guard stationed at their quarters and workplace.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:14:12 am »

The older they are, the longer their Beard. The longer the Beard, the more respected the Dwarf is.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16:02 am »

Huh... I usually just built temples to Armok since they're the only structure you can really plan ahead of time in a randomly generated world. These usually consist of a small altar in the middle of my arena on a gold constructed, raised platform with only one access ramp.

Actual DWARVES though rarely get projects. But those who do I guess the order goes:

1) Adventurers (If dwarven, I don't make altars to humans/elves)
2) The best fighters in the military, usually nicknamed after their fighting style/personality
             - Made a huge above-ground temple to "Thunder" and "Lightning", a duo of a hammerdwarf in full steel with
               a silver warhammer and a swordsdwarf in bone and leather. Built a steel lightning rod over their tombs.
3) The mayor/bookkeeper/manager/everything. I usually turn off all labors for him so he can get his jobs done, but once he gets high levels in all of his skills he tends to have a lot of free time. Thus whenever there's a critical need of something he's the one to do it. After many years he becomes at least adept at most crafting skills, masonry, carpentry, and sometimes even fighting. He also pulls levers, so he's bound to avert a major crises at least once in the history of a fort, earning himself a place among the great. Plus, it's easier to do great things for the guy who already HAS the best bedroom, less work =p
4) Legendary weapon/armorsmiths.
5) Blacksmiths/metalsmiths/masons that provide for the entire fort
6) Sole survivors of peasant rushes. It's only worked once, but that little bugger got himself a private palace.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:40 pm »

1. Whichever dwarf I name after myself
2. Warriors (Or in my case, mechanics)
3. Workers in a field of which there is usually only one (weapon smith, gem cutter, etc)
4. (Aka never) Idiotic nobles, any workers in a group of which there are more than 3 (masons, etc)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:04:06 pm »

1. Starting 7/First DwarfLords/Avatars
2. Notable Dwarfs
3. Everyone else

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:25 pm »

The more important or notable the dwarf is the larger and more impressive the burial chamber.

Some tombs I create in their honor put the godamn egyptian pyramids to shame.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »

Nope. I do the same. Usually I try to get the mayor taken care of, followed by the military commander, then sherrif, and then turn attention to captains, book keeper, manager, and chief medical. If I've managed to get production of housing churning out well enough then I see about the widows of any noteable military. After then it's kind of "Eh, you won the lottery."

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

I assign a War/hunting animal to my legendary dwarves to protect them, though its considerably unbalenced, as 1 legendary miner got a war dog and the other got a war giant tiger..... so yeah
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:39:29 pm »

First 5 years of fortress:
- Armorsmiths, Farmers, Brewers, Butchers, Mechanics

Afterwards:
- Soldiers, Legendary Artisans, Starting 7.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

1. The original 7
2. Legendary Metal Workers
3. Legendary Warriors
4. Legendary Masons
5. Other Legendaries
6. Skilled Warriors
7. Mechanics
8. Unskilled laborers
9. Cripples
10. Lazy dwarves/criminals.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »

My forts are all glorious communist paradises(I.E. Hellholes, just like the U.S.S.R.) so no real social structures show up before the planned economy fails.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »

• Me
  • Me

The alpha and the Omega.

But really
the 7
the solders
every one else.
Vermin
Everything else
Animal caretaker
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:08:14 pm by Wolfy »
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.
Pages: [1] 2