Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh god, the children...  (Read 2564 times)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh god, the children...
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:34:51 am »

...Or lack thereof!

4 migrant waves, a total of 49 migrant dwarves... and not a single one of them are children. What's going on?!?!?!//1/1/1/one!

Anyone else experiencing this or am i just incredibly incredibly lucky?

Also on a seperate note, i'm starting to get a few dwarves with level 10 + in a skill or 3, often many of them social skills... but they aren't vampires. Edit: in fact, often they are married to a similarly skilled, and fairly old, dwarf, which is pretty cool. Again, what's going on?!

...Perhaps to answer my own question, Toady is awesome.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:37:56 am by schismatise »

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
Re: Oh god, the children...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:45:26 am »

You had NO children from migrant waves? I have a fort that's over 50% children. I've had to resort to turning on hauling for them through Dwarf Therapist just to keep my sanity.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:52:14 am »

Yeah i was getting huge numbers of youngin's as well, but suddenly none... it could just be an anomoly of my world or something... this is the second fort in the world... i can't actually remember if i got many kids in the first one, i abandoned fairly early after about 72 elves attacked in the first winter. Hyuk.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:12 am »

Lucky. Around 30% of my population of 200 are children or babies. I can't get a migrant wave without five of the migrants being children, and I can't go five minutes without hearing "Urist McDwarf has given birth to YET ANOTHER boy/girl!"

That, and puppies. I have two pages of puppies.

Boy, that sounds like a terrible fortress... Full of puppies, babies, and kittens. *Shudders*
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:02:03 am »

No new children will be born outside of your fortresses after the end of worldgen. So if you've played 12 years on this world already, then all migrants will have grown up. Since this is your second fortress, you've probably already played 12 years in your first fort.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:59 am »

Based on this, new strategy for people who hate child historical migrants:

Find the ideal site you want to make your fort at. DONT MAKE YOUR FIRST FORT THERE
Find some throwaway location where you can sustain life for a while.
Start a fort and welcome all migrants. Give them all just barely enough to survive.
When you have ridiculous amounts of children, KILL THEM ALL LET NONE SURVIVE
Spare the adult dwarves; you don't mind if they migrate to future forts.
Abandon the fort.
Start new fort. Only adult historical figures migrate.

VICTORY!!!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:01:15 am »

Or...quicker....make a micro-fort, abandon and reclaim 12 times...make sure to give each set of 7 dwarves a mix of useful skills.

12 years will have passed. Heaps faster and guaranteed no children ever. Sorry if that's less dwarfy.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:11:05 am »

Way less dwarfy, but hey, if it works, but you shouldn't be doing it, then it's kinda dwarfy anyway.

Bonus points if it doesn't work.

...Anyway, good thinking there McFry, but i'm afraid you neglected to read the OP, in which i stated that... oh wait, it wasn't in the OP, it was in my other post. Anyway, i abandoned the first fort of the world in the first winter, so the children of the world didn't have time to grow up. I can also confirm that i didn't muck around with population caps or anything, new dwarves are being born as normal.

I could also have mentioned i'm on .34.04, using a world genned with 125 years history.

I've had another 3 migrant waves since the OP, and still no children. Very strange indeed! I'll update if i figure it out...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:13:44 am by schismatise »

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:15 am »

I made a new world last night. 100 year gen, no big mods. I'm having the same issue so far - two migration waves of 9 or so dwarves, and no kids. Of course, I'm not complaining, but compared to 34.02 where I was absolutely swamped with boozeguzzling party animals, not getting any in 34.04 is a bit odd.

Still though, I've only had two migration waves so far in this fort. The spring avalanche might bring some freeloaders.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:18:19 am »

Yes, please be sure to post - that's what i'm wondering, really, if maybe Toady just tweaked things without telling us. All hail the great one.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 08:23:07 am »

Less children? Well i hope so, getting several births every in-game week was rather frustrating. Maybe i should consider getting this new .04 thing for that reason. .02 has given my fort WAY too many children with both migration and birth, so next fort shall have a rather strict child cap. Else i'll just have to make them brawl kobolds somehow.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »

After a couple new forts, it seems that the first and second wave is childless with the new version - at least they have been for me. Third wave brings children as normal, though.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Tychocrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »

When I switched from a 250 year old world to a 550, the number of children who migrated dropped by something like 80%.  Before I would get something like 50% useless kids, now maybe one or two per wave.  YMMV

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:11:18 pm »

After a couple new forts, it seems that the first and second wave is childless with the new version - at least they have been for me. Third wave brings children as normal, though.
I have had children in the first and second immigrant waves.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 08:19:06 pm »

The addition of vampires turns children into a valuable resource!

Delicious, pampered, plump dwarven children make superdwarven vampires feel happy and refreshed, so that they can do the work of 50 dwarves.

Clearly, the new model of efficiency is an immortal inner circle, and a chattle proletariat population to create delicious children.

To minimize the effects of a tantrum spiral in the proletariat, they need to be divided into couples, supplied with all the food and drink they need in this reproductive isolation, given a legendary dining room, and allowed to do absolutely nothing but make babies and party together.

When the babies grow to the size of children, they are carefully absuducted, and delivered via a chattel chute to the quarters of a hungry inner circle vampire.

Pages: [1] 2