Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: That special something...  (Read 5422 times)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That special something...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 08:39:46 am »

My fort always has three things.
1. The mayors office, noble offices and quarters are always their own seperate district distinct from the other accomodation. In my new for this means the housing district has a walled off area accesible only by going through a checkpoint thats guarded by a militia barracks.
2. The entrance (and usually the caverns) has a border and customs office. This is a barracks with windows to allow the guards to see who's coming in and out of the fort. Where possible I have one post for the Trade Depot area and then another for the Fort itself.
3. Just for ease of use I always build a three room food production area. Its Farm - Food Storage - Kitchens in a row. I set this up for a full sized fort even when the fort is still small.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:06 am »

Square Rooms, a fixed ground-plan (at least for all main areas), a Zoo.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:56 am »

MAGMAAAAAAAAAA

Otherwise, a gatehouse similar to this:

It's actually pretty useful with them air lock-esque qualities, since i can let soldiers out without exposing the rest of my fort. And i can seal off eventual traders.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:48:14 am »

Since I started the thread, it seems only fair that I state what I can't do without in any fortress I create:

Entrance two or three tiles wide, long, with a bridge at the beginning and one at the end (both with a moat). In the middle of the corridor, branching to the left and to the right, a room for the trade depot and a room for the barracks. The inner bridge is retractable, while the outer bridge can be raised to seal the fortress. At the end of the  corridor, you find the stairs to reach the main fortress, and fortifications that allow some ballistae to take down any invasors that get through the traps I lay down in the first part of the corridor. Towers for my "snipers" here and there, to control the territory and deal with enemies I can't kill until my military is ready (I don't use danger rooms, so it can take a while...).

That's it! I can change anything else, but this is too simple and effective to give up, in my opinion.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 10:22:22 am »

I always build a circular central tower extending at least 20 z-levels between above and below ground floors. Generally, it looks like this:

Code: [Select]
   [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]        [ ] = wall
[ ][ ][↕][↕][↕][↕][↕][ ][ ]     [↕] = up/down stair
[ ][ ][↕][ ][ ][ ][↕][ ][ ]     [█] = open space
[ ][ ][↕][ ][█][ ][↕][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][↕][ ][ ][ ][↕][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][↕][↕][↕][↕][↕][ ][ ]
   [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Where the center hole is an execution drop and the walls around that are glass, clear if I can afford the attention.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 03:11:56 pm »

I used to make a Hall of Heroes: coffins designated for my starting seven.  Now I make masterwork iron-laden rooms for my best militia dorfs and metal workers.

Typically the scrubs and newcomers live in the levels closer to the surface while the most skilled and accomplished craftsdorfs live below.

I also typically armor up some newbies and send them out on a "camping trip" in the caves for a while.  Whoever makes it back gets to not die in the caves!
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »

A legendary dining room.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 03:15:14 pm »

Large corridors that are impossible to defend, the digging must be minimal...

And of course, eyeball removal when applicable.

Always applicable.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 03:30:18 pm »

If I haven't built any pressure plates, I'm not having fun yet.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 03:39:32 pm »

A very, very big room with engravings that my whole population gets to draw at one point. It's actually nice when a lot of amateurs draw what they like, and not professional dull history of some troll wandering through the hills.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 03:43:01 pm »

Massive underground cities hewn from the stone underground.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »

I always have a 20z level tower I throw things off of. In DF2012 I now have to always build vampires in to walls.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 04:37:23 pm »

I always have a 20z level tower I throw things off of. In DF2012 I now have to always build vampires in to walls.

That just gave me an excellent thought: keeping vampires in the space between walls makes a useful defense mechanism, particularly when they're releasable.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »

the corridor of traps over a 3 zlevel deep moat. it is an easy and entertaining way to deal with foes, especially goblins. sometimes I put weapon traps down in the moat itself, turning the moat into a pool of gore fed by the survivors that get thrown in when a traps bounced them off the walkway.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 06:03:58 pm »

I can't stand not having a mausoleum.
First I make dining hall, then I make food stores. Then storage, crafting area, living area, then endless endless coffins. <3

Everyone will work on the mausoleum and drag their own coffin from storage and place it. No exceptions.

Made out of Kaolinite if possible- walls, floors all red. Delicious delicious red.
The coffins are made of wood (or stones if someone whines to have a better tomb)
Here's some different fortresses. Sadly I can't find the first one I ever made. It was out of pure gold.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here I found my love for kaolinite. I breached the caverns too early so I abandoned this fortress because there were offensive plants growing in my masoleum.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Expanding on that, I went back to marble for commoners, kaolinite for the soldiers, discovered a new love for kimberlite and microcline coffins, got bored waiting for a mayor and started constructing other grand tombs.... like the one made out of gold and the one made out of gold/steel just to prove to myself that I had the resources to blow of such a thing as steel flooring.
When I got bored again I made the one made out of adamantite despite still having just a mayor.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:07:53 pm by -Firestar- »
Pages: 1 [2] 3