Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: That special something...  (Read 5424 times)

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That special something...
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:23 am »

Is it a maze? Traps after traps in a long corridor? A megaproject? An army of 200 dwarves? A pet dragon? A garden with 1000 statues? What is it that you simply must have in your fortress no matter what for it to feel "right"? What is it that you can't give up,  no matter what are your current objectives or projects in any of your games? What is it that makes your fortress YOUR fortress?

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: That special something...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:23:30 am »

My 31x31 room system. Every room or block of rooms is set in a 31x31 area with 3 wide hallways in between them. And at each hallway junction is a 3x3 room that is part of a stairwell. Every fort must have it's 31x31 grand dining room with a 31x31 food stock pile right bellow it, connected by staircases in them for easy access. All furniture in this room must be exceptional or masterwork.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:42 am »

crossbows and bolts issued to every civilian just incase.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:50:25 am »

My horrific bunk bed system, and the kickass statues of skeletal eagles tearing apart elves everywhere.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

Jalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:56:25 am »

Making an artificial cavern with buildings carved into the stone.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:06:51 am »

A moat. Filled with water.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:15:56 am »

Murder holes. My entrrance is always liberally flanked with fortifications to shoot from behind, either with ballistas or crossbows. That and as many serrated discs and goblinite weapon traps as I can manage. The entrance to my fort is a veritable hallway of nasty, pointy death.

My other design idioms include a large, walled-off pasture only accessible from an enclosed gatehouse and a pairt of floored-over pits serving as the refusde stockpile and "outdoors" farms, respectively.

One of my favorite "megaproject" formats (of sorts) is to try and make my entrance into a huge shaft with a spiral ramp on the edges, preferably descending all the way down to the magma sea. (Think Clanker's Lab from Might & Magic VI)
Sadly, the latter has defied any attempts at practical implementation so far.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:22 am »

Prison/street structure, basically:

Code: [Select]
Room|_   _|Room
Room|_   _|Room
Room|_   _|Room
Room|_   _|Room
######~~~######

I love the walkways, gives it a city feel to it
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:22:41 am »

My horrific bunk bed system, and the kickass statues of skeletal eagles tearing apart elves everywhere.

You mean that each room has stairs that go through them? I wish I had those statues, too!  :D

I am not sure I get what you mean, here. How is that any different from a normal fortress?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:24:37 am »

I am not sure I get what you mean, here. How is that any different from a normal fortress?
I think he means like a big hole that all rooms are connected to.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57:03 am »

3x3 royal bedrooms for each useful dwarf with table,chair and personal masterwork food stockpile, the others can stay in the dormitory and grab some berries outside if they really want to eat

also killing room for unwanted immigrants and vampires

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:05:54 am »

You mean that each room has stairs that go through them? I wish I had those statues, too!  :D

More like the standard set of 3x3 rooms (Space wasting I know) with up/down staircases outside them, with a bedroom both above and below the main floor. I made this design because labor was at a premium at the time, and I couldn't be bothered making hallways to access each floor of bedrooms.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 07:57:36 am »

Catacombs: mazes of 1 tile corridors lined with doors leading to 1x1 rooms containing coffins. I prepare these in advance for when some kind of horrible accident wipes out 20 dwarves. I once recovered from a tantrum spiral after accidentally breaching hell. I went down from around 80 to around 10 dwarves. If I hadn't had my coffins ready to await corpses I would have died to despair from miasma clouds and decaying relatives. When the next migrant wave came I renamed all the original survivors so I could keep track of them. They all had the "getting used to tragedy" or "doesn't care about anything anymore" personality traits.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:22:11 am »

As standard I drive for symetry and all of my floors and walls being the same colour, at least on a room to room basis, 3x3 bedrooms and a huge dining hall.

But what makes a fort feel "special" is when the crazy RNG of DF produces an interesting little story or cool event for a dwarf. Sadly nothing has topped the DF2010 Baron I had. My mayor got killed in a goblin ambush, so I promoted the only friend he'd developed from the starting 7. He was put on mining duty, my old mayors job. A giant toad ripped his left arm off, he beat it off with his pick and washed the wound, didn't seem to think medical treatment was necesary.

He continued to be a complete badass, ended up wearing an artifact adamantine gauntlet and becoming a combat monster with an artifact steel warhammer. I spent most of DF2010 trying not to suffer from FPS death and getting him to sire an heir, he was getting very old, but never married his lover.

How the game can generate endearing characters like that is what will maintain DFs spot as the greatest game devised in my books.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:35 am »

I only build on every other level, and connect them with ramps. Stairs are temporary. Tree farms. The Grand Hospital with test subject chamber.(for medical training) Epic Throne Room for royalty. Magma everywhere.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS
Pages: [1] 2 3