Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: That special something...  (Read 5416 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Re: That special something...
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 06:14:55 pm »

My favorite thing of all time to do, ever, is My extreme execution towers. I'm not talking about little ones, like 10 z=levels or such, I once had one spanning 30 (there were no caverns for a while) z-levels (before the fort fell) and along with that, it would be a lot like a tunnel going up and down, starting big at the top and bottle-necking as it goes lower, each floor containing workshops and/or dwarf bedrooms as well as the various barracks scattered throughout.  I always executed the more "honorable" enemies (goblin weaponmasters) by placing them on top of this tower (1x1 wide/tall), (there were high quality iron menacing spikes at the bottom) and training my marksdwarves with a suspended platform nearby this in order to kill it very, very dead. Just wait for them to dodge, then they tumble down and down until splat, then the dwarves can clean the body (it would have already been stripped of clothing) up from the floor, as well as the blood and vomit, if they somehow survived to throw up once they landed.

Optional: put rowdy dwarves up top and fire away with ballistas/catapults. They will have no choice but to either dodge or get shot. either way, mission accomplished.

I love doing smaller versions of that, but usually goblins end up killing the hell out of my dwarves before tehy can do anything about it. I commonly have a smaller execution tower/funnel system where the dwarves end up swarming the bottom because it is the quickest route to the other side of the fortress, I include a lot of staircases.

Oh, also I have my trap hallway. How I describe that is 'no dwarven day is complete without the fresh smell of miasma in the morning.'

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 09:26:24 pm »

Must engrave everything. Otherwise my sprawling, lackadasical method of placing things since any planned layout would make me quit if there was one tiled cleared out that shouldn't be. I can just pretend it's a dorf's fault then.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 09:34:31 pm »

Everything has to be made of green glass, if both sand and magma are available, wizard of oz style.

All goblins are bottled in greenglass terreria, and put on display as living sculptures. Their green skin matches the green architecture beautifully.

The fortress must swell to obscene size, and die of fps death.

Exotic architecture (dangling structures, tangled mazes, lovecraftian angles... etc) are all the rage.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 02:05:35 am »

Must engrave everything. Otherwise my sprawling, lackadasical method of placing things since any planned layout would make me quit if there was one tiled cleared out that shouldn't be. I can just pretend it's a dorf's fault then.

I know the feeling!  :)

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 05:58:19 am »

I always go for arena room, designed under nobles' rooms level. I make gem windows so that nobles can look at the goblin vs acedwarf battles from their bedrooms.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:20 am »

Every room with any significance must have a 2z high ceiling. This is made by having my miners dig ramps rather than simply dig, and removing said ramps afterwards.

Otherwise it feels claustrophobic in my head.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 06:12:03 am »

I always have a ridiculously huge metalsmithing industry.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 06:12:52 am »

Otherwise it feels claustrophobic in my head.

...Great, now I have a strange mood for this.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 09:11:13 am »

A large forge room with rows of smelters and forges, and magma piped underneath to serve them.

Also large halls with lots of pillars for my nobles.

Menacing steel spikes too, somewhere that goblins will "find" them.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]