Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants coming in  (Read 975 times)

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
Migrants coming in
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:08 am »

For a challenge, I decided to embark on a lone scorching island with an aquifer(while my goal stays the same to making an epic fotress) and see how long I can last with my seven dwarves. They're surviving on fish and harvested crops apparently.

But then migrants still came on that island(I thought they wouldn't, being on an island far from any civilization made me think I'd be an epic and lonely group of dwarves). I sort of wanted to rely on my starting dwarves for reproduction to keep the population active without the help of those migrants coming in.

So my question is: Is there a way to keep migrants away? That, or to stop them from coming?
My post ends here.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants coming in
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:14 am »

Go to your data/init folder, open d_init. Find the POPULATION_CAP part, edit that to 7 or 4 or 1 or whatever. With your starter dorfs you instantly meet that requirement. However, first 2 migrant waves are hardcoded, you ALWAYS get them.

If you want as few dorfs as possible, do not increase your fort value much. That way instead of a migrant wave of 7 dorfs you might get one with only 2 and so on.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:29:51 am »

Aye, thanks for that info, although will my dorfs still be able to breed offsprings even if my population is capped?
My post ends here.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:12 am »

Yes. The baby/child cap is separate from the population cap. The only thing you have to worry about with a low for population is whether or not your available dorfs have matching personalities.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:40:49 am »

Yes. The baby/child cap is separate from the population cap. The only thing you have to worry about with a low for population is whether or not your available dorfs have matching personalities.

Kewl, alright then that solves my problem  <: Thanks

Seems like the only thing I can't change however are the first two mandatory immigrations. But that won't be a problem if I block my cave entry, having them to starve outside my fortress~
My post ends here.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:12 am »

Generally speaking if I embark with no supplies at all and turn pop cap down to ~12 or so, I only end up with 14-18 dwarves after the first two migrant waves. Its not 7 but its low enough I can keep up with them all individually.