Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reservoir  (Read 1786 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reservoir
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:53:48 am »

When I build a reservoir to store clean water, does it have to be made out of blocks or is constructing out of rough rock fine?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:56:48 am »

You can just dig it into a wall, if you like. So long as it's not from stagnant water, it should be fine.

Toraxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:17 am »

Any type of constructed or smoothed stone, wood, or other constructed material is enough to keep it from being laced with mud. I usually just smooth the floors of mine and then make sure they're more than one z-level deep. Another good consideration would be to channel out a drain which can be equipped with a floodgate, allowing the water to be drained out when it's opened, and off the side of the map via caverns or a fortification on the map edge. This way if any contaminates do get in, you can empty it out and fix the issue.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:04 am »

It makes no difference if the floor of the reservoir is rough floor, smoothed rock, or constructed floor as far as mud is concerned.  Water will deposit mud on any surface, no matter what the surface is.  I like to pave the floor of my water cisterns with constructed floors, but that's just to keep plants from growing in them.

What you do want is for the cistern to be more than one Z-level deep, so the wells aren't taking water from the lowest floor, where the mud settles.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:02 pm »

It makes no difference if the floor of the reservoir is rough floor, smoothed rock, or constructed floor as far as mud is concerned.  Water will deposit mud on any surface, no matter what the surface is.  I like to pave the floor of my water cisterns with constructed floors, but that's just to keep plants from growing in them.

You could just place a stockpile at the bottom of it with nothing to be stored in it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:57 pm »

Clean water as in cleaned salty water? Nothing but constructions will do. What you construct out of doesn't matter.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:47:37 pm »

Clean water as in cleaned salty water? Nothing but constructions will do. What you construct out of doesn't matter.

Constructions don't have any effect on making the water in the reservoir salty or not.  Saltiness is determined by location.  Contrary to long-standing myth, touching rough rock walls doesn't turn water salty.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:06:19 am »

You could just place a stockpile at the bottom of it with nothing to be stored in it.

Though if the stockpiles are removed for any reason (like fortress death), the stockpiles'll disappear with no way to get rid of the plants, without having to drain the resevoir anyways :/

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 09:31:29 am »

I was making a pond. I set the pond zone and I forgot to set the water source to my aquifer well. The dwarf got the water bucket from a murky pool on the surface and that turned my pond stagnant. I turned off the pond zone and let the water dry up. I tried fill it up again with clean well water, but it was still stagnant. I think the tile has been tainted forever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:35:27 am »

I think the tile has been tainted forever.

Yup. Contaminants will forever contaminate any tile they're on :/