Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: (NAG) Ask The Mod, and General Purpose Mafia chat!  (Read 19795 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: (NAG) Ask The Mod, and General Purpose Mafia chat!
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 04:10:06 pm »

Now, an sk can fit into a 9-player game (6-2-1), but he will make the game EXTREMELY short. Like, 3 Day long game.
A cult, on the other hand, wouldn't be too bad. Cults tend to favor late-game power versus weak early game. So, the cult doesn't grow too powerful in this case, as the exponential factor is limited by time.
I'd have to disagree.  With 6-2-cult leader the town can lynch mafia day one, another mafia member day two, a cultist day three and then lose.  The cult leader would have to die quickly in order for the town to have any chance at all, making it swingy.

"The town can play perfectly and still lose" is an inherent problem with cults though I guess.
Eh, that's a bit of an extreme case. I'm going off of non-extreme cases.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »

Eh... unless the town is lucky and the cultists die in the night they'll need a very high lynch rate or a lucky leader hit on day 1.  I can see the setup as balanced in terms of mafia v cult, but I don't think the town gets much of a lookin.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »

Which is why I personally think cults, in general, should have limited converts.

Or there should be two cults. :P Then it doesn't matter if town wins, cause it won't have anybody on it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »

That's pretty much what Religious Flame War mafia was right?  All the "townies" just wanted to avoid any trouble and get taken up into one of the cults (who in turn only wanted to eliminate the opposing cult and hostile 3rd parties).  I thought that series had quite a few interesting ideas, with the main issues being apathy during the day due to there being no common enemy (or at least no guaranteed common enemy) and the fact that if only one of the cults had a kill they could pretty much out themselves and murder anyone who dared go against them.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:09 am »

There was also CCS Mafia, which had 3 cults, and the intention was that the game would be balanced by having the cults consume the "Town" and then battle each other. I actually had plans to rerun that game and add different Arch-Conservatives, but have dropped that plan because of a lack of interest in the thing and learning that cults are somewhat unbalanced.

I wonder how Mafia would work if the "town" does not actually exist. Basically, running Third Party Mafia with no Townie player.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2012, 12:40:28 pm »

I wonder how Mafia would work if the "town" does not actually exist. Basically, running Third Party Mafia with no Townie player.
People get a lot more selfish.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:52 pm »

Book:  That is somewhat true- due to a clerical error I thought I had 11 people, then suddenly had to drop it to 10.  I wasn't looking forward to balancing it, so I tried to think of how to add a 10th man to a 7-2 game that wouldn't unbalance it either direction, and a "weak townie" alignment won out.

As far as the game itself, I think you made a dangerous assumption that there was another third party.  The brother was intended (and successfully served) as a "gotcha" role- the natural assumption was that the brothered player wasn't town- but he was.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »

I wonder how Mafia would work if the "town" does not actually exist.

Cybrid doesn't have town. It has two semi-cults, mafia, survivors, and the occasional SK.

And the mafia are also a cult.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:40:25 pm by GlyphGryph »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »

The semi-cults function like townies though, in that they are uninformed and rely on numbers to win.  It's like town vs culty town vs mafia.

I'd say the town already doesn't exist in 3rd party mafia.  It's there in name only - the idea behind a town is "uninformed majority" and he isn't any less informed or more numerous than anyone else.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 07:24:23 pm »

Toaster:
The brother was intended (and successfully served) as a "gotcha" role- the natural assumption was that the brothered player wasn't town- but he was.
True dat. It really threw me off when Jack flipped town, and I failed to reevaluate my assumptions.

As far as the game itself, I think you made a dangerous assumption that there was another third party.
True dat too. Lesson learned.

GG:
Cybrid doesn't have town. It has two semi-cults, mafia, survivors, and the occasional SK.
This reminds me: in your Cybrid Mafias, you've listed as possible alignments (apart from Cybrid), "Rebel, Imperial, or Other"... what are these "other"? Survivors? As far as I recall, every player every game has been rebel, imperial, or cybrid (or am I misremembering?). How do these "others" work?

[in 11-p game] That leaves somewhere around 3-4 Imperials, 2-3 Rebels.
4-Imperials, 3-Rebels, 1-Cybrid is 8 people... would the other three be these "other"? If left unconverted, do they win merely by surviving, or can they work as a team or something?

Also, how do you choose how many Officers to give each team, and how do you think that affects balance?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »

GG:
This reminds me: in your Cybrid Mafias, you've listed as possible alignments (apart from Cybrid), "Rebel, Imperial, or Other"... what are these "other"? Survivors? As far as I recall, every player every game has been rebel, imperial, or cybrid (or am I misremembering?). How do these "others" work?
IIRC Other = Cybrid or failed inspection.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »

I don't mean "other" as inspection result (which does mean either cybrid or failure); I mean these:

Wildcard Roles (May be Rebel, Imperial, or Other): [as opposed to Imperial/Rebel/Cybrid-only roles]

Though I suppose we should clarify. GG: does a successful inspection of one of these wildcards also return "other"? Or would it say "survivor/3rd party" of some sort?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »

3rd parties also come up other, yes, unless they are/appear as an Imperial/Rebel.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 06:23:12 am »

You're not answering the question. What are these 3rd parties that may "appear" Imperial/Rebel? Are they survivors? a team? In an 11-p game, with your quoted 4I-3R-1C (=8), should three of these 3rd parties be expected?(8+3=11) Or are Officers counted in addition to those numbers?

Can we assume all players will be one of Imperial, Rebel, or Cybrid? Or are there other options? If so, what are they?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2012, 06:57:29 am »

Like in Cybrid I (and, I think, two), they are Neutral Survivors - their goal is to survive and are likely to wind up converted by one team or another (they are always convertible).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7