Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: (NAG) Ask The Mod, and General Purpose Mafia chat!  (Read 19789 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(NAG) Ask The Mod, and General Purpose Mafia chat!
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:09:41 am »

People seemed to have some interest in this, so I figured I'd get around to making the thread! Here's the chance for mod's to explain what goes through their heads when they create games, what factors they need to consider both mechanically and flavour-wise, where they draw their inspiration, and what sort of tea they take in the morning (black, golden dragon).

Mods, if you're willing to be poked and prodded, make a post. I'll include any information you want me too in this here post - at the very least, you should probably give me a list of games you've run for people to ask questions about!

Obviously, questions about in progress games will get you nowhere, and those running series may want to keep certain secrets close to their chest. But the point of this thread is to learn something about your mods and, just maybe, a little bit about how to run a successful game.
Mod-roll
GlyphGryph - Is always going to die in 40 days. So hurry the fuck up and play.
Spoiler: Game List (click to show/hide)
Toaster - Behold the power of TOAST!
Spoiler: Noteworthy Game List (click to show/hide)
Mephansteras
Webadict

So, let the questions begin!

If nothing else, I'll just use this thread to reminisce and tell tall tales of back in the day. You don't want that to happen.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:14:25 pm by GlyphGryph »

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GlyphGryph:
What are you going to do next?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to retire. Again.

That, OR do something incredibly stupid and try to run another version of Politibastard, with another mod and 5 player games, with a double game that has crossover abilities and shit, one game for the Liberal nomination and another for the Conservative nomination.

Really, it's a terrible idea. But we'll see. I might end up swapping the idea out with some other sort of flavour, don't want it to get played out.

Temporarily Retiring is more likely, though - I can really only do so much of this before I burn out, and I'm almost there now.

If anyone ever wants to host one of my pretty big pile of "game setups", feel free to let me know though! God knows I make more of these things than I could ever use.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I preemptively call one!
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to retire. Again.
Aw.

That, OR do something incredibly stupid and try to run another version of Politibastard, with another mod and 5 player games, with a double game that has crossover abilities and shit, one game for the Liberal nomination and another for the Conservative nomination.

Really, it's a terrible idea. But we'll see. I might end up swapping the idea out with some other sort of flavour, don't want it to get played out.
Actually, it sounds pretty awesome.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Oh god, not more politics. Please, anything but that.  :'(

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I'm available for asking, though I don't claim to be a veteran.  Getting Web or Meph onboard would do you more.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

What makes me tick? A handful of finely crafted gears, which are just slightly incompatible with each other.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toaster, any games you want me to list?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

You want a big list or just my favorites?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

What makes me tick? A handful of finely crafted gears, which are just slightly incompatible with each other.
I go with a metronome.

Also me? For BYORs, I just go with a theme and try to make a few roles go with it. I think the one where I did the best job was the first BYOR, with the Robot Pirate Zombie Ninja Communist Alien. Too bad it never got used. Zai actually noticed this. If they want balancing, I honestly just try to make a myriad of roles, make sure no one can win through claiming, and then also make sure there is lots ot things to screw with people. For everything else? Who knows. It's pretty random.

And I just avoid flavor. Mostly because it gets tiring after a while, and I can't keep doing it. Someone should write it for me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toaster, any you feel might be interesting for people to read over, I suppose.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Okay.

Spoiler: Noteworthy Games (click to show/hide)

RM2 was a broken joke, Kingmaker didn't really work, and Dethy Deluxe was poorly thought through.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I think really would have been interesting for Bad Dudes is if you gave the Ninja Leader a bit more control - allow him to specifically recruit certain players but with a clear cost of some ability or another every time he did so.

That might have been overpowered, though.

I actually thought it was a pretty interesting hook, but the real problem was that only the ninja leader ever got to actually see it! To everyone else, it was just a normal mafia game.

So what do you consider more important - Flavour, mechanics, something else?

Obviously it's important to have all three, but what do you value most in your games?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

That was the catch-22:  I wanted to give the ninja team the advantage of surprise, but that advantage also would have increased the appeal of the game.

Since it didn't get much attention post-game, I'm guessing there isn't much support for another run.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7