Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evil Ash kills everything  (Read 2330 times)

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Ash kills everything
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:41 am »

I've recently made the acquaintance of Evil Ash in an Evil biome. It seems to kill on contact and is never announced. The biome also has Revolting Goo, which causes dizziness and nausea, and which is announced and which I thought was the culprit and that death was a rare by-product.

But no, I have Evil Ash, which has exterminated all the wildlife, my grazers, and half a dozen dwarves, who not only died two tiles from my front entrance, but on the same tile, no doubt each trying to claim the shoes of their predecessor before being struck down themselves.

I've managed to pull the raws from my save file, so if anyone can tell my why this stuff is so deadly (or wants to use it themselves), I'd love to know.

Evil Ash raw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Ash kills everything
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:14 am »

If it's any consolation, they were probably unconscious before the pain set in...

Lol just kidding.  The pain would have risen as the numbness increased, keeping them awake enough to feel the pain until they finally choked on their own blood and died.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:43 am »

If Evil Ash is killing everything, I suggest you get one of your Siege Operators to lure him onto a catapult loaded with a rope reed cloth bag full of gunpowder.

(But on-topic, it's posts like this that make me glad I haven't downloaded the new revision of the game yet.)
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:18:03 am »

Probably the numbness.
If your lungs get numbed... Well, it's kind of hard to breathe.
Oh, blisters, pain and bleeding too? What a ‼Fun‼ weather you've found.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:59 am »

Well it's probably the bleeding. You know, since every part of their entire body starts gushing blood.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:45:25 am »

I was totally expecting an Army of Darkness reference, with an evil husk running around killing everything :P
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Broan13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:51:48 am »

I have only had 2 kinds of ash so far, one makes them naseous and throw up all the time for a bit, and the rest get a bit numb and a fever.

NemoVonFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Can ya dig it?
    • View Profile
    • Wayfar 1444 Wiki
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:09:12 am »

Keanu Reeves catches me playing Dwarf Fortress
"Do you always look at it encoded?"

"I don't even see the code--I just see Horse, Carpenter, magnetite . . ."

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:13:53 am »

This is what's killing your dwarfs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnigxYPl_qo

Actually what the syndrome looks like its doing is causing internal bleeding.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:16:02 am »

the lungs burn, then go numb as the blisters set in. then, the ash proceeds to liquify the dwarf.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 03:02:45 am »

Well it's probably the bleeding. You know, since every part of their entire body starts gushing blood.
Well damn. PROB:100 means that there's a 100% chance of this happening, right? Am I correct in guessing that SEV:100 means the severity is maxed out, too? I guess I'm lucky (unlucky?) that this didn't descend on my dwarves and their poultry from the outset so that I was a year in before I realized this was happening. I'm going to have to see if the caravan ever makes it out....

Also, every map edge is lined with the corpses of animals that dropped dead the second they spawned. I have many pages of dead rattlesnakes, swans, and capybaras.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:04:32 am by Veylon »
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 03:06:58 am »

I guess you could use them for free bones and meat, if they're not rotten or something.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 03:17:06 am »

Well damn. PROB:100 means that there's a 100% chance of this happening, right? Am I correct in guessing that SEV:100 means the severity is maxed out, too? I guess I'm lucky (unlucky?) that this didn't descend on my dwarves and their poultry from the outset so that I was a year in before I realized this was happening. I'm going to have to see if the caravan ever makes it out....

Also, every map edge is lined with the corpses of animals that dropped dead the second they spawned. I have many pages of dead rattlesnakes, swans, and capybaras.

No the SEV:100 isn't maxxed out. It could easily be SEV:1000. But wouldn't make a difference. Even 20 bleeding can be lethal to dwarf sized creatures over 200 to 400 steps. And that lasts 3285.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »

I was totally expecting an Army of Darkness reference, with an evil husk running around killing everything :P
I'm surprised not more have caught on :P

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 03:56:13 pm »

At least you wont have to worry about above ground invaders!!
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange
Pages: [1] 2