Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: blood barrels  (Read 3225 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: blood barrels
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:44 pm »

No, blood is essentially a completely useless tradegood. You can buy it, and you can sell it, but you can't make or use it for anything.

This experiment is !!science!! Though.  Sadly, I seem to have forgotten how screwpumps work, because I can't build it over the single square exposed magma... and it does nothing when built next to it.

Time to consult the wiki!

Ok. Output tile was blocked according to wiki.  Adapting setup.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:54:03 pm by wierd »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »

No, blood is essentially a completely useless tradegood. You can buy it, and you can sell it, but you can't make or use it for anything.

This experiment is !!science!! Though.  Sadly, I seem to have forgotten how screwpumps work, because I can't build it over the single square exposed magma... and it does nothing when built next to it.

Time to consult the wiki!

Input tile is in the cardinal direction listed as pumping from. So if you set pump from West, you need to have the hole 1 tile left of the pump.

Edit: essentially it need 4 tiles, even though it's only 2 when you build it. 2 for the pump, and 1 at each end, input/output.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »

Code: [Select]
Side:
 pP_
~###
Pumps to the right
Code: [Select]
Top:
.pP+
Pumps to the right - empty space on the far left, occupied by magma directly below.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 10:59:03 pm »

**edit

Wait... premature.

Seems my attempt vaporized the vampire instead.

It seems the pump needs to be remotely operated, and a redesign of the test rig is necessary.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:02:02 pm by wierd »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »

...really?  Like really for real?

Pick a booze type, preferably something slightly obscure like pig tail... whatever pig tail booze is.  Mod it to boil at 10074U (will boil when placed on a floor that has magma underneath).  Conductive stockpile issues to keep pig tail wine brought to your forges, and another stockpile to take the barrels away.  This could leave your forge-workers perpetually covered in a wine misting machine and they'd only leave to go eat and sleep!

Military applications as well?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 11:08:24 pm »

Apparently vampires don't like exploding steam, or she wasn't as magmasafe as I thought she was.

I will test again. This time greenglass pot of dwarven ale.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »

...really?  Like really for real?

Pick a booze type, preferably something slightly obscure like pig tail... whatever pig tail booze is.  Mod it to boil at 10074U (will boil when placed on a floor that has magma underneath).  Conductive stockpile issues to keep pig tail wine brought to your forges, and another stockpile to take the barrels away.  This could leave your forge-workers perpetually covered in a wine misting machine and they'd only leave to go eat and sleep!

Military applications as well?

Lol, if only we could cover the field with alcohaze... Dwarves would be invulnerable, enemies would be staggering every which way, swinging their helms and blocking with boots :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 11:11:39 pm »

Does boiling booze count as an inhaled syndrome?

Either way, I look forward to the day when I can have 30 brewers on hand, dumping barrels into a trough that pours the booze into a waterfall, splattering over a naturally warmed floor and filling the dining hall with a booze sauna.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

She seems to be catching fire and burning to death before any steamed booze reaches her.

Rather than a screwpump, I will dump straght on the exposed magma, or modify the boiling points for scientific evaluation.

Dropping into magma had no discernable effect towards vaporization.  Need to modify vapor point.  Which raw do I need to poke to do that?

Found it.
Setting vapor point at 10000. This will vaporize instantly.  I have arranged for her to stand exactly on the tile containing both barrels. She has no choice but to be exposed. Test results to follow.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:40:23 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:09 pm »

Ok. She was right on ground zero of the cloud.

No discernable effects. Steaming booze and alcohol have no effect on vampires. Definative result.

Apparently they need to be fed delicious children, and that's that. 

(Will see if I can get her to stand in a puddle of the stuff now.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:50:40 pm by wierd »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »

Set the boiling point of children... wait wait wait, this will never work.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 12:11:08 am »

Depends.... no wait.. that would vaporize everyone.. not just children. Nope. Never work.

Next experiment in the near future: unconcious sapient (non-dwarf).

Goblin invader will be dropped 7z into vampire room. Fingers crossed for unconciousness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 12:13:44 am »

You'd have better luck exhausting or lightly drowning them, I'd think.  10x wooden training spears against an armored goblin is probably fatal before it induced tiredness...

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 12:47:12 pm »

if you're down for modding anyway, there is a way to process blood into a lignate pot...well, I've only tested it in barrels, but it should work for pots too. I cant find the thread right now, I'll find it. What I did is add this:

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:EXTRACT_BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD]

to the meat template in material_template_default and add this:

[REACTION:PRESS_MEAT]
   [NAME:press blood from meat]
   [BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_T]
   [REAGENT:meat:1:MEAT:NONE:NONE:NONE] [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:EXTRACT_BLOOD]
   [REAGENT:barrel:1:BARREL:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [EMPTY]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
      [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [PRODUCT:100:3:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:meat:EXTRACT_BLOOD]
      [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel]
   [SKILL:BREWING]

to the reaction_other file and add PRESS_MEAT to permitted reactions for the civ. the result is the same as the barrels of blood you can take with you on embark/trade for, but be warned it doesn't work well with ichor. In your case, you'd have to change the [REAGENT:barrel:1:BARREL:NONE:NONE:NONE] to whatever the reagent is for pots, which I haven't used yet so you'll have to find that out for yourself. The wiki should have it, maybe I'll look it up later. You'd probably have to gen a new world, too, which may or may not be worth the trouble.

Edit: Come to think of it, you'd probably also have to allow butchering of sentients, unless animal blood works just as well as dwarf blood.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:20:02 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:05 pm »

No discernable effects. Steaming booze and alcohol have no effect on vampires.
Just out of interest, what sorts of effects were you prepared for?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3