Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Things to ponder / discuss (The Questions Thread)  (Read 11719 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things to ponder / discuss (The Questions Thread)
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 10:57:40 pm »

TBH the "are viruses alive" debate is kind of pointless to begin with. It's based on how life is defined, not on unknown absolutes about viruses that would either qualify them as alive or not.  IMO it's purely a matter of semantics, and doesn't really affect the current baggage of knowledge about viruses one way or the other.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 10:58:16 pm »

@Valid - Okay, now you're confusing me... Is that sarcasm again, or are you really meaning it? And if you say yes to this post, are you still in sarcasm mode or is it genuine? (brain implode)
I'm a non native speaker by the way...

As for the reverse photosynthesis thing, theoretically it seems that way, but it's has a lot of difference. For one, photosynthesis has the Calvin cycle at the end, while metabolism uses the Krebs cycle.

@Valid Ninja - Please stop quoting my old post D: I have a new one up yonder. And yes,it isn't alive AS WE KNOW IT, but of course we should change! Science is not about rigid frames that never change.

Analogy - You only know how to add and subtract. You think those are the only things called Math. Lo, you discover the marvel called multiplication! You then edit your stance to include multiplying into your definition of Math.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:25 pm »

Nothing we say on this forum has any helpful impact on the sciences, why should our conversation about the nature of life and viruses be any different?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 11:21:22 pm »

How would one perceive higher dimensions from a 1st person perspective?

EDIT:
Also, looking through all that, I think in one iteration, I BECAME Kamina.

Oh yeah, and if you ever get such a dream, make sure your head has some protection, because it will get mindfucked like a psychic honeymoon. It was the trippiest/coolest dream I ever had. I'm surprised I didn't Go Mad From the Revelation after having that dream.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:41:19 pm by Itnetlolor »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 11:47:25 pm »

If you buy soup from a can, what causes the soup to taste like metal?  Does it make the metal taste like soup?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »

The taste is from tiny particles of metal that are in the soup.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 11:55:02 pm »

ok, so are soup particles displaced into the can?

I want to know if my can will taste of soup before I simply eat it.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 11:55:57 pm »

The can is solid, and the soup is a liquid solution. So, no.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 12:02:37 am »

In an alternate universe, the metal is the skin of the fruit in which the contents within is the soup, and the contents within the contents (let's say the vegetables in that can of vegetable soup) are seeds to make more vegetable soup cans full of vegetable soup in which could be eaten like fruit.

The trees that they grow out of, could be an aluminum mushroom, which bears the fruit like spores.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:08:44 am by Itnetlolor »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 12:04:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are these really the same people? or just a result from 90's tv show mandatory diversity.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 01:34:15 am »

Mandatory '1 of each' deal.  Alot of cartoons have something similar, as long as you ignore the 50 ethnicities that arent there, it isnt racist.

Can anybody remember the non-lies to children reason for the sky being blue?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 01:38:53 am »

The sun is shining through the atmosphere. There is water vapor in the atmosphere. When light is reflected by water vapor, it looks blue.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 01:43:04 am »

Short version: The sky is opalescent. Same reason it's yellow-red at dusk.

EDIT: Redundant answer is redundant >______>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:55 am »

Huh, I thought that was the lies to children reason tbh, but some research has netted me exactly 0 other explanations, so I guess thats it.

Okay then, if we start burning the hydrogen from water as a fuel, will we eventually run out of water?  Or, if I burn hydrogen gas, do the atoms change into something else/get destroyed?  :o
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 01:55:11 am »

You cannot destroy matter. You also cannot destroy energy. Both can change, even radically so, but they cannot cease to be.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7