Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire in the Circus  (Read 3439 times)

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Come Learn Dwarf Fortress!
Vampire in the Circus
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »

So i started a quick fort to mess around with the newest updates to the game, a small two by two area. I manage to locate some cotton candy and begin gathering some of it when i quickly located the circus. After some scrambling to try and block the circus off, i suddenly realized that there was no clowns. Curious, i tried to gather some more cotton candy before i ventured into the circus, but accidentally unleashed a torrent of lava into the circus. After some more cotton candy gathering i found another entrance into the circus, once again, no clowns. I had discovered a vampire in my fort earlier in its construction, and had him sealed in an empty tomb until i thought of something i could do with him. So i freed him and drafted him into the military. He quickly explored the circus, and i walled him in there because i think its fitting that he remains in the circus. Its weird that there was no clowns. i have no mods of any kind running, so is this a random glitch? For fun i saved and dropped him into a glowing pit to see what would happen, but scrubbed so i could keep him down there for fun.
Any thoughts? like what i should do with him? or why Armok didn't feel like sending in the clowns?
Come learn the game, or share your favorite DF stories with me on my twitch channel! https://www.twitch.tv/bluezesttv

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire in the Circus
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:51 pm »

Oh wow, that's quite peculiar. I'd like to see some pics, 'cos this is the first I've ever heard of a clownless circus.

One theory I have is that perhaps the demons got stuck in another pillar. Or your world didn't gen demons.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:50 pm »

For fun i saved and dropped him into a glowing pit to see what would happen

What did happen? :)

One theory I have is that perhaps the demons got stuck in another pillar.

This always happens to me, especially when i'm trying to organise an epic fortress last stand scenario ><

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:31:57 pm »

He vanished and was listed as dead in the unit list, and a small hole appeared in the glowing pit for a moment before vanishing. it was interesting.

Oh wow, that's quite peculiar. I'd like to see some pics, 'cos this is the first I've ever heard of a clownless circus.
I'm a new here, how do i show pictures?
Come learn the game, or share your favorite DF stories with me on my twitch channel! https://www.twitch.tv/bluezesttv

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »

You didn't set clown types to 0 in worldgen, did you? I mean, you probably wouldn't be asking if you did, but it helps to eliminate the obvious first.

Were there clowns running around during worldgen?
If you export sites and pops, does it give you the normal 'unnumbered' result for the clown populations?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »

He vanished and was listed as dead in the unit list, and a small hole appeared in the glowing pit for a moment before vanishing. it was interesting.
In other words, the same thing that happens when any creature falls into a Chasm.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »

Thank you Urist, but the clowns are in another pillar! :D

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:01 pm »

Hmm, there is the possibility that you have a 'curoius underground structure' with an upright sword on your map. Should that be the case, the clowns won't show up until that specific event is triggered.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »

You realize what this means, right?  You can easily inhabit the circus, use cage traps to capture your foes, harvest the goblinite by stripping them, then- rather than killing them and sending them on to their just deserts- cut out the middle-man and toss them directly into hell.

Then, after whatever horrible fate your fortress suffers, make an adventurer and jump directly into hell.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:54:45 pm »

You realize what this means, right?  You can easily inhabit the circus, use cage traps to capture your foes, harvest the goblinite by stripping them, then- rather than killing them and sending them on to their just deserts- cut out the middle-man and toss them directly into hell.

Then, after whatever horrible fate your fortress suffers, make an adventurer and jump directly into hell.

Demons tend to falcon punch all but the best candy-clad adventurers.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »

Only one spire will trigger the HFS..

Keep digging.

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »

Keep digging.

I've already punctured through two of them. and I'm pretty sure that's all the candy on my map. (it's a pocket world)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:20:37 pm »

I think i had a dream about a clownless circus, but its never been fufilled. Most likely all the clowns are under another/other pillers of candy
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 09:47:34 pm »

Keep digging.

Puncturing a spire reveals all the other ones.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 01:56:19 am »

Keep digging.

Puncturing a spire reveals all the other ones.

Only if they're close enough.  Until that spire is breached he won't have excessive fun.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.