Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just to clear it up  (Read 1109 times)

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just to clear it up
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

In the DF wiki, the listed locations of adamantine are only neutral and good type mountains. I'm currently on a terrifying mountain, and I just want to make sure whether or not adamantine will still be there.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just to clear it up
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

If you are using utilities to find adamantine then you already know the answer.

If you are not, chances are you don't have it, regardless of what mountain type you are on.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

And I think the wiki contributor is likely just guessing from personal experience. I remember once when I looked at it (and it might still say this) that only one chink of adamantine can be found in any given range (which is definitely false).

If you have to know, use reveal.exe

If on the next fort you want to guarantee it, you'll have use the prospector.

Chances you have it in your mountain right now without knowing it: very very slim.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:38:00 am »

Any mountain, regardless of biome alignment, can and will contain one pocket of adamantine.  Every mountain tile on the middle embark map contains one pocket of adamantine "somewhere" in one and only one of the far-left-window mountain tiles.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:54:00 am »

Kagus, you might want to clarify on that.

I've dug up entire mountains in fortress mode before with no traces of HFS. Not every mountain would have HFS as that would make its rarity somewhat questionable. Perhaps you mean on the world map or named mountains? Then again, I would find it odd that you determine only middle and far-left locations would have HFS as I've located HFS with the prospector basically anywhere in mountain ranges, regardless of location, biome, or alignment; just in certain spots among them.

I would assume that when a mountain tile is created, it is created with a probability of containing something along the lines of... 80% regular mountain, 8% underground water, 8% chasm, and 4% HFS.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:00:00 am »

He means that within every mountain tile in the regional map, there is one local tile that contains HFS.  So, given that the regional tile is a mountain, you have a 1/64 chance that one of the mountain squares included in your embark area has HFS.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

Okay, this is getting confusing.  Let me show you.

Here we have all three windows, "Local", "Region", and "World".  I have centered on that single mountain in the middle of the "Region" window, and as you can see there is a small cluster of mountain tiles in the "Local" window.  Since the "Region" square is a mountain square, there is a 100% chance that one of those mountain tiles in the "Local" window has HFS in it.  I just don't know which one it is.

Every single mountain in the "Region" window will have HFS in one of the "Local" mountain tiles.  It can be difficult to find, however, since you have no idea which "Local" mountain tile it will appear in.

I picked a rather easy spot for finding it, since there are so few mountain tiles in the "Local" map.  If you were to pick something in one of the mountain ranges on the "Region" map, you'd have quite a few more places where the HFS will show up.  And it will only show up in a mountain tile, not in any other.  Sorry if this all came off as condescending, I was just trying to emphasis a few points.

To check, I run regional prospector, and I see that the HFS is in one of the outer tiles.  I also see that there's a chasm going straight through the thing, another feature that I *think* may also be a 100% probability.

Heh heh.  Just noticed that this was "the Land of Yelling".