Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Reddit users--Lets drum up some PR for this lovely game!  (Read 15166 times)

Chinese Immigrants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit users--Lets drum up some PR for this lovely game!
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2012, 03:08:51 am »

If you don't care about this Reddit war, skip this spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really hopeful about this. People in r/gaming get really passionate about their games, and I would really love to see Dwarf Fortress included up among the best- if we can win their hearts, the DF community will earn fresh people to discuss with and inject new ideas, more money for Toady as someone else said, a further advancement in this style of game, incredible fan creations (mods, fanart, videos) as have been shown for other games many times previously in r/gaming, but most important of all... FRESH BLOOD, FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2012, 06:09:23 am »

I had to do a double take when I saw Dwarf Fortress on the gaming sidebar. 

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2012, 06:39:45 am »

Well if they bother to update the sidebar again, you will do a triple take, since it is #1 atm and beat out Skyrim.
It might not be there too long though, since the Skyrim reddit has over 1.2 million subscribers.

*Waits for sidebar to update*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2012, 07:42:18 am »

I'm really hopeful about this. People in r/gaming get really passionate about their games, and I would really love to see Dwarf Fortress included up among the best- if we can win their hearts, the DF community will earn fresh people to discuss with and inject new ideas, more money for Toady as someone else said, a further advancement in this style of game, incredible fan creations (mods, fanart, videos) as have been shown for other games many times previously in r/gaming, but most important of all... FRESH BLOOD, FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Passion swings both ways, I wonder how this'll turn out...

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 11:43:26 am »

Well if they bother to update the sidebar again, you will do a triple take, since it is #1 atm and beat out Skyrim.
It might not be there too long though, since the Skyrim reddit has over 1.2 million subscribers.

*Waits for sidebar to update*

Oh they'll bother!

They'll bother because I will ask politely :)

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »

Let's make a tread on reddit gaming about it when it updates.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2012, 02:12:21 pm »

Mods updated!
#1    Dwarf Fortress    1488

Now some smart person needs to Write a post in /r/gaming explaining the DF Campaign, its success.
Adding a link for the "Lazy" to submit DF in their playlist
Something like
For the late and lazy: click this [link](http://www.reddit.com/message/compose/?to=GamingBot&subject=Now+Playing&message=Dwarf+Fortress) and click submit to join the cause!

Probably also link to the new CapnDuck youtube .34 tutorials, so new people can actually have an easier chance to get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVZtRdtPdo&feature=channel_video_title

Well done, well done indeed!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:14:05 pm by codecx »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2012, 02:32:31 pm »

Now when you say passioned, I feel worried since I connect overly passionate fans with fan dumb and broken bases. The lack of those things is one of the main reason I love Bay12 so much
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »

If this does draw a bunch of redditors to B12, I believe I many have found yet another reason to stay in the lower boards.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2012, 02:41:10 pm »

Yeah this could get us a lot of players and popularity, or at the very least noteriaty but I feel that if too many people come here at once we will have trouble intergrating them into the bay 12 comunity.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2012, 02:45:53 pm »

Namesakely DF has thrived on having a Laconic userbase, we don't bother ourselves too much with nonsense, but this could change a lot.
We already get a lot of repeat threads, spam bots and every now and then someone who is legitimately bigoted, and saying that attracting redditors will work out absolutely fine because we have good moderators isn't really a sound argument if it means Toady and Threetoe having to spend more time combing the forums ;/

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2012, 03:42:45 pm »

If it does cause a huge influx redditors to the forums it could cause some problems initially however any problems it may cause would have to be faced sooner or later because we are a growing community.  Besides it's not like Toady and Threetoe have to read every single thread that is created they only have to look if people get reported.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2012, 03:46:46 pm »

We could deal with it now, or deal with it never. I know what choice I'd pick :P

Still, you never know, might find some nice people...

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2012, 03:57:51 pm »

We could deal with it now, or deal with it never. I know what choice I'd pick :P

Still, you never know, might find some nice people...

It took me a long time to try and explain that it's (now or later) not (now or never), because only those who learn to play come to the forums and since our community is growing all of the people who can learn and like the game will do so and come here eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2012, 04:02:57 pm »

It took me a long time to try and explain that it's (now or later) not (now or never), because only those who learn to play come to the forums and since our community is growing all of the people who can learn and like the game will do so and come here eventually.

Not everyone on bay12 plays DF, or even came here through DF... And we're more worried about the backgrounds of said reddit users who would not normally go on bay12.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5