Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning undead dwarfs out of cage traps?  (Read 3642 times)

DwarfGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cleaning undead dwarfs out of cage traps?
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:32:09 am »

So I'd built up a big stockpile of undead in cage traps from my last siege and decided I needed to free the cages. My embark is on a rather handy volcano which I dump into. I had no problem clearing most of my stockpile which was a mix of elves, humans and dwarfs after stripping them of their goodies. But for some reason undead Dwarfs can't be assigned to a pit. Anyone else come across this?
So I tried building the cages the dwarfs were in after dropping all the elves and humans into my volcano. Then set a squad to keep an eye on things and tried releasing all the undead dwarfs. But this just leaves an empty cage built in place and creates a duplicate cage with a dwarf still in it and puts it pack in my stockpile! How by Arnok's beard do I get rid of these abominations? Although the free cages are handy... ;)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning undead dwarfs out of cage traps?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:49 pm »

I can only think of Undead Dwarven Zoo.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:02 pm »

Well, you got your compensation, now toss them into magma along with cages.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:29 pm »

Wait for the next caravan, the move all of the undead dwarves to the depot. The haulers will jut move the cages, though, so keep a squad ready.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:16:26 pm »

yeah, i'm having this problem as well.

Dwarven atom smasher, or a probably very tall pit to the magma flow.

Dumping them in magma didn't seem to work for me in v0.31.01.

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:20:02 pm »

Well, couldn't you drop the cages by building out some flooring, then removing part of it? That's how I got rid of my caged invaders before I realized you could just chuck them in.
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:15 pm »

Is the cage-dupe bug reported?

DwarfGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:17:21 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys. The only reported bug I can find that's similar is this one:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94310.msg2662726#msg2662726

From an earlier version of DF obviously

I'm still running 34.02 if that helps. Haven't tried the very latest patches yet.
How do I go about atom smashing them? I can't designate an animal stockpile under a raised bridge or build a cage. I've never figured out how to use my bridges for smashing items. I don't particularly want to create a dump sight at my volcano as I've had wierd problems in the past when I've had more than one garbage dump. I should have been more specific when I said I use my volcano for dumping.. I don't; I have a Pit Zone there for getting rid of unwanted creatures. My garbage dump is by my stockpiles. I tend to recycle everything in my fort.
Otherwise I'll try the suggestion of trading them the next time the elves come to visit :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:42:51 am by DwarfGirl »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

If you can't atom smash, just drop a floor on them ;P

DwarfGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 02:41:43 am »

Well trading them to the Elves worked. My dwarfs came along and freed them and my squad dispatched them easily but that led to another odd bug. The corpses got hauled off to my graveyard instead of the refuse stockpile. So all the corpses then have to be buried! It seems undead dwarfs are a bit odd... now I have a stack of coffins to make :/

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »

Well, respect the (un)dead, especially dwarven.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 07:34:02 pm »

I'm still running 34.02 if that helps. Haven't tried the very latest patches yet.
How do I go about atom smashing them? I can't designate an animal stockpile under a raised bridge or build a cage. I've never figured out how to use my bridges for smashing items.

The trick is to make a dump one z-level above the atom-smashing bridge.  Dwarves come, dump their trash, it falls into the shadow of the bridge, you atom smash it.

It's true, multiple garbage dumps don't play nicely with each other.  If you're mechanically inclined, it's possible to make an auto-drop device (check out http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Vasiln/Undump for diagrams).  That's nice because you can treat it like a stockpile instead of a dump.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.