Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191457 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1275 on: March 21, 2013, 10:51:22 am »

From what I understand, the game dies about 2-3 hours in, and then it's most fun just to start a new city. It's painfully clear in this that the idea is to add DRM or other microtransactions which expand the game.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:23 am »

From what I understand, the game dies about 2-3 hours in, and then it's most fun just to start a new city. It's painfully clear in this that the idea is to add DRM or other microtransactions which expand the game.

DLC, you mean?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 21, 2013, 11:23:07 am »

Just jumping in to say that this is sounding more and more like Spore all over again, except with more bugs, ever-online DRM and planned DLC a****lery.
Well, at least Simcity 5 will have actual content added... Lucky you.

I think I'll stick with Pharaoh. It sounds superior in every non-graphic way.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 21, 2013, 11:40:39 am »

Did you even play the game? Origin says I've played Simcity for about 60 hours and I have 6 cities so...

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:27 pm »

Did you even play the game? Origin says I've played Simcity for about 60 hours and I have 6 cities so...

I have to back up PTTG here, I own the game - and my Origin lists my play time (since purchased on US release day) 18 hours.

5 hours of that was spent left online when I went to university.

So, 13 hours TRUE play time and I really have no desire to go back to it. Nothing is dragging me back at all. I've maxed (or as maxed as I could be bothered with) four cities and one of those helped build a regional wonder thing (Arc).

It's possibly the worst game (IMHO) I have ever bought. 

In comparison, my free copy of Sim City 4 Deluxe (thanks, EA) has already clocked up 9 hours of play-time over two days and I still want to go back.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 23, 2013, 06:33:59 am »

If anyone wants to join a region me and a friend just started one up. Add Bolthame and I'll invite you :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 27, 2013, 02:45:32 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 27, 2013, 03:14:03 am »

Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:46 am »

Man, this has got to be the biggest case of "want to play the game/hate the business model and bugs" I've ever had. I wonder if/when it will go cheaper than the $40 it's on sale for on Amazon right now...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1284 on: March 27, 2013, 01:52:09 pm »

I was very much in the same situation Sensei, and even when a friend expressed the desire to get it and that it'd be cool if we could both play together (I'm a sucker for any sort of multiplayer experience) I still sat there, pouring over the decision.

In the end, I think it came down to guilt. I felt guilty for wanting to buy the game, and that was a very big part of what was holding me back. I didn't want to support what they'd done, although change in and of itself wasn't the issue (honestly, the game can be thought of more like you controlling a district of one large city, while your friends control other districts, and suddenly it starts to feel a lot better about controlling a smaller area) it was that it came from EA, that THEY had changed something. That immediately summons forth a bad taste in my mouth, and an expectation (fair, or not) of rampant DLC abuse in the future.

The bugs of course are an issue, but one that they're resolving quickly. But still, coming back to the 'supporting EA' thing was a real difficult lump for me to swallow. I did pick it up in the end though, the multiplayer aspect is probably the biggest reason I decided to. This iteration of Sim City is everything CitiesXL wanted to be, but wasn't, with extra sauce on top. As a bonus (and this did make it a bit easier to decide to get it, I have to admit) EA are giving away free games as a 'sorry we messed up, please don't hate us for ever'... if it weren't for the fact I actually want to finish the Mass Effect story, I wouldn't have cared too much for this, but getting Mass Effect 3 for free was a nice cherry on top.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 27, 2013, 01:54:37 pm »

Don't worry Cernunnos I do it to.

No one badmouths EA for what they do to the Sims 3 more then I do... But I keep getting the expansions AHH!...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »

I was very much in the same situation Sensei, and even when a friend expressed the desire to get it and that it'd be cool if we could both play together (I'm a sucker for any sort of multiplayer experience) I still sat there, pouring over the decision.

In the end, I think it came down to guilt. I felt guilty for wanting to buy the game, and that was a very big part of what was holding me back. I didn't want to support what they'd done, although change in and of itself wasn't the issue (honestly, the game can be thought of more like you controlling a district of one large city, while your friends control other districts, and suddenly it starts to feel a lot better about controlling a smaller area) it was that it came from EA, that THEY had changed something. That immediately summons forth a bad taste in my mouth, and an expectation (fair, or not) of rampant DLC abuse in the future.

The bugs of course are an issue, but one that they're resolving quickly. But still, coming back to the 'supporting EA' thing was a real difficult lump for me to swallow. I did pick it up in the end though, the multiplayer aspect is probably the biggest reason I decided to. This iteration of Sim City is everything CitiesXL wanted to be, but wasn't, with extra sauce on top. As a bonus (and this did make it a bit easier to decide to get it, I have to admit) EA are giving away free games as a 'sorry we messed up, please don't hate us for ever'... if it weren't for the fact I actually want to finish the Mass Effect story, I wouldn't have cared too much for this, but getting Mass Effect 3 for free was a nice cherry on top.
So I dare ask, all told, do you regret buying it? lol
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 27, 2013, 03:32:11 pm »

Yes I regret it everytime...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:03 pm »

well, of course you regret buying Sims 3 expansions :V

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 27, 2013, 05:25:58 pm »

FWIW, I was one of those people that was not going to buy SimCity under any circumstances because I was mad at EA. I folded like a cheap lawn chair and bought the game about 2 hours before launch. I instantly regretted it and I regret it even more now. When it was time to pick my free game, I picked Sim City 4 merely to make a statement. I also decided that I would not ask for a refund because;

1) It's my damn fault for impulse buying what I knew was going to be a rotten game.

and

2) I wanted to keep a memento of this event. Something that would always eat at my craw. Something that would agitate me so much that I would never forget how badly EA screwed gamers. I decided to not ask for a refund and wear this SimCity as a badge of shame, a constant reminder to never ever, under any circumstances;
      a) Buy any game from EA
and
     b) Never pre-order any game

Sadly, I will fail at this because I will preorder GTA. So I am still a schmuck! :D
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98