Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191574 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1155 on: March 17, 2013, 01:34:31 am »

In otherwords the "Many games already do this" is just one computer doing pretty much all the work.

Yep, because that computer can process all the client data more efficiently then each computer doing it on its own (which is what I was saying). Thats why Peer to Peer games tend to experience more overhead.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 17, 2013, 01:50:15 am »

Ok, so I am going to chalk this up to me not understanding you and probably needing to read what you wrote more carefully.

Sorry about that Alexandertnt. :P

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 17, 2013, 02:23:59 am »

Its not a problem, I am always willing to explain anything.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Theq629

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 17, 2013, 02:53:40 am »

I think it mostly comes down to how much state is shared; if most game state is shared between players then doing a lot on the server(s) makes sense both because you can share computation and because a lot of data will be going through the server anyway. If not then there isn't much to gain by moving work to the server unless you can really commit computational resources to each player that are better than what they'd have at the client, and maybe not even then due to bandwidth. Most distributed computation relies on either problems which decompose very well or on problems which decompose ok plus a fast local network.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 17, 2013, 07:48:29 am »

Alright, most of this thread is " Waah, Waah, DRM." But should I get this or not? It looks pretty cool and I like it a lot, have the servers calmed down and is everything fine?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 17, 2013, 08:11:56 am »

Well, looks like you missed the discussion about the horribly broken mechanics and false promises.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 17, 2013, 08:50:03 am »

I think it is time that we accept that the people calling the shots over at EA don't respect or care for its clients. To them we are just playing childrens games and too juvenile to ever expect any level of quality. The upset over the game can be dismissed as bitching and moaning coming from kiddies who are having a harder time pirating a game that requires an internet connection.

In short Bullfrog Productions got assimilated into the worst possible company. Stop asking for Dungeon Keeper 3, you don't want it anymore.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 17, 2013, 10:05:39 am »

In short Bullfrog Productions got assimilated into the worst possible company. Stop asking for Dungeon Keeper 3, you don't want it anymore.

Whio cares now that War for the Overworld is in preparation?

Now we just need a syndicate that isn't a FREE TO PLAY MMOFPS.  :-X

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 17, 2013, 10:35:53 am »

I remember theme park! I have that game for the DS! I also remember it to be quite hard.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 17, 2013, 10:45:33 am »

Criterion Games ruined by EA?
Burnout Paradise was pretty good, even though it was published by EA.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 17, 2013, 10:46:32 am »

Criterion Games ruined by EA?
Burnout Paradise was pretty good, even though it was published by EA.

Didn't know that was EA, but it was still the Burnout game I least enjoyed.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 17, 2013, 10:50:07 am »

I remember theme park! I have that game for the DS! I also remember it to be quite hard.
Completely unrelated, but I finally understand your avatar.

Awesome.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: March 17, 2013, 11:25:48 am »

- mindblowing image -

OMG... I never realized that Pinball Dreams was made by Dice.  Not because I loved PB, but because I LOVED Pinball Fantasies!  I hated EA before, but this is a whole new level.  Not that there's much connection with PF and EA screwing over the gaming world, but hey, I like spurious connections.

I got nothing to say 'bout Sim City other than why on earth are people still talking about buying EA products?  No brainer dudes, stay away and they fold faster.  Simple plan.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 17, 2013, 11:50:09 am »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: March 17, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »

Ok, I am officially off EA. It's hard for me to say that because I have a working relationship with them but I have been disrespected too many times as a consumer. It will take a lot for me to come back to any of their properties and am writing off my losses.
My GUID(?) was apparently hacked and I am banned from their online games. I found this out by trying to load up BF3 for the first time in 3 months to see the new DLC. Punkbuster informs me that I am banned from their servers. I do not engage in cheats and am furious that EA has locked me out of all of their online games because I was hacked. I contacted customer service and they told me they can't help. I contacted a friend who works at EA and he told me it is a common issue now and off the record, they are not interested in fixing it.

Ok, Feck them, Feck that, I'm out.

Edit: Sorry if this was too off topic. Feel free to ask by PM and I will delete or Toady can obviously also do it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:34:01 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 98