Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191627 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1095 on: March 15, 2013, 09:05:14 pm »

I do know traffic is whats used to influence commercial and stuff...its prolly a weird complex chain reaction that the jam caused to make that happen...

You sure you didn't upgrade the density of road though? only the high end roads can support high density

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 15, 2013, 10:04:46 pm »

Holy balls.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/16/simcity-bosss-straight-answers-seem-pretty-wiggly/
It’s since been revealed that population numbers are nonsense, even down to leaked Javascript code featuring “simcity.GetFudgedPopulation” as a function. We’ve learned that city size limits are arbitrary, pathfinding is rudimentary at best, and Eurogamer’s absolutely superb review lists many more bugs, broken features, disappearing pretend-money and never-arriving resources.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 15, 2013, 10:59:55 pm »

Holy balls.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/16/simcity-bosss-straight-answers-seem-pretty-wiggly/
It’s since been revealed that population numbers are nonsense, even down to leaked Javascript code featuring “simcity.GetFudgedPopulation” as a function. We’ve learned that city size limits are arbitrary, pathfinding is rudimentary at best, and Eurogamer’s absolutely superb review lists many more bugs, broken features, disappearing pretend-money and never-arriving resources.
UNLIMITED LOLING. SO HAPPY I DIDN'T BUY THIS SHIT!

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 16, 2013, 02:00:40 am »

I know it's not long, but i can't help but put my feelings down somewhere.

I see this as both a budding developer, and a long time fan... What happened EA? What happened? 

http://chrishecker.com/images/f/f1/Cry.jpg

I spent today with an old game I played when I was younger, simcity 3000. Even to this day it brings back the joys of that era, a simpler time, but now that I look ahead... What is there to see? Is this how EA dies, becoming the anti-these of it's own goal "We see farther"? There is no excuse to see another creators work fall and be laughed at like this... in a way we should be grieving the loss of a once great franchise that defined a generation. As much as EA will fall, memories will not. We will remember what you once were electronic arts, and what you became, and with that knowledge we will move forwards.   

Goodbye EA;  You will, and will not be missed.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 16, 2013, 02:16:14 am »

The thing is Darklord is that I have been around long enough to see almost every single franchise I have grown up with turn to crud before my eyes, or if it doesn't outright suck it has become completely unrecognisable (Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metroid, Kings Quest, Soul Calibur...)

As such it is hard for me to weep for Simcity especially since I already played Simcity societies, a game where it is impossible to lose so long as you don't intentionally try to lose (and even then you have to do things like not build roads or residential housing to achieve that loss.), which is hard for me to decide if it is worse then this game or not.

Simcity societies has absolutely terrible gameplay but it functions basically perfectly. While Simcity has a good game hidden underneith bugs and glitches that they could have fixed but chose money instead. Simcity Societies is a terrible game while Simcity is a terribly insulting game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:25:55 am by Neonivek »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 16, 2013, 02:59:21 am »

While Simcity has a good game hidden underneith bugs and glitches that they could have fixed but chose money instead.
Oh, if only it were just that. See, that's what is most rage-inducing about all of this. It isn't that they chose money instead. Sure, the online stuff can very well be argued as such, and does contribute to a large amount of the problems... But even if that is removed, even if all those 'greed motivated' decisions (which, let's be honest, everyone was expecting to begin with) were removed, you're still left with something which is broken to a high extent to the point where merely passing it off as corporate greed doesn't go far enough. It isn't greed which sank this ship, it's the sheer incompetence and laziness. Had they pulled off a spectacular launch with a great product, people would gripe about always-online and such, but it would overall be a pretty damn good game. Instead, it's become an unending debacle.

As others have shown on previous pages, the traffic simulations are completely broken. And what's worse, as I pointed out, is that one could very easily fix nearly all the issues with it; at the very least turn it from 'show-stopping failure' to 'silly glitch with little impact on gameplay.' And, indeed, they have announced they will be changing some of it to be a bit closer to my suggestions, though whether they have gone far enough remains to be seen (maybe, but possibly not; their system is still entirely deterministic).

Likewise, their servers are broken. They're a big, experienced company. They've compared this game to an MMO; and yet they don't seem to have learned any lessons from other MMOs their own company has created. EA runs SWTOR. Outside of Actiblizz, they should have some of the most knowledgeable people regarding the data and server requirements of highly multiplayer games. They've got networking source code and internal stats. Adequate server simulation and load testing obviously wasn't done, nor was proper analysis of data requirements. Had either of these things been done, the launch may have been a bit buggy, but not a week-long catastrophic failure.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 16, 2013, 03:16:15 am »

I know it's not long, but i can't help but put my feelings down somewhere.

I see this as both a budding developer, and a long time fan... What happened EA? What happened? 

http://chrishecker.com/images/f/f1/Cry.jpg

I spent today with an old game I played when I was younger, simcity 3000. Even to this day it brings back the joys of that era, a simpler time, but now that I look ahead... What is there to see? Is this how EA dies, becoming the anti-these of it's own goal "We see farther"? There is no excuse to see another creators work fall and be laughed at like this... in a way we should be grieving the loss of a once great franchise that defined a generation. As much as EA will fall, memories will not. We will remember what you once were electronic arts, and what you became, and with that knowledge we will move forwards.   

Goodbye EA;  You will, and will not be missed.
Isnt there a saying about money corrupting the soul? Thats what happent, in this case its the company soul.... Success went over their head and now they act like they are ruling the world....

Its time for a clean up but sadly its not going to happen because THEY hold the stick and not us.

Edit: Am i the only one who cannot connect? i get stuck are wrong connection information thingy.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 16, 2013, 04:21:53 am »

C'mon now guys let's not put the 3000 version on a pedestal, with the wonky interface and all the stuff which didn't made sense.
Both SimCity 2000 and 4 were better games, by features, interface, gameplay.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:02 am »

According to quite a few sources now, EA is starting to ban people or threaten to ban people from Origin for attempting to aquire refunds.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 16, 2013, 06:01:57 am »

I'd love a source on that...
seems too ridiculous to be true, but wouldn't put it past EA lately.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:58 am »

Banning for requesting refunds or banning for charge backs?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:53 am »

I'm pretty sure it's charge backs. But hey, if I ended up buying simcity and giving EA another chance, I would threaten charge back too. Who cares if they ban me? It might actually be doing me a favor.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1107 on: March 16, 2013, 07:35:16 am »

Banning for requesting refunds or banning for charge backs?
chargebacks most likely. Steam does the same thing.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 16, 2013, 08:19:49 am »

I do know traffic is whats used to influence commercial and stuff...its prolly a weird complex chain reaction that the jam caused to make that happen...

You sure you didn't upgrade the density of road though? only the high end roads can support high density

Absolutely not. My city has had high density roads since day one.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:02 am »

My city is currently at 1.7 million, but I have absolutely nothing to spend the money on.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 98