Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191711 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1050 on: March 14, 2013, 05:16:00 am »

To be fair, Toady doesn't have to try and simulate 200,000+ people.

Neither does SimCity. The number of agents isn't close to the number of population, and it's not like there is any real logic being simulated anyway. Its just pathfinding at times of day for work/school/home and some random shop visits.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 14, 2013, 05:18:22 am »

Maybe EA should hire Toady to rewrite their AI.

(heh)

Toady's AI is actually smarter. At least the dwarves know where their bedroom is. At least the dwarves know their job. At least the dwarves can be told that some ways are faster than others.
To be fair, Toady doesn't have to try and simulate 200,000+ people.

alway already adressed that. Basically in DF, each tile is an intersection. Of which there are a lot. A SC city will only have about 200 intersections.

And then:
Quote from: alway
Pathfinding for high-volume, low density is much easier than low-volume, high density.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 14, 2013, 05:21:10 am »

A Sim City 5 person don't path find like a dwarf does. The roads themselves form the data structures that things attach to and path along, so a simple binary search will get you the ideal path very quickly. A dwarf exists in a 3d space with much more possible routes...

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 14, 2013, 05:30:45 am »

Have You guys read on RPS that apparently the Sims aren't actual entities unto themselves? i.e, they disappear completely from Your city upon entering a building, go to different jobs and houses every-day, etc?
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 14, 2013, 05:37:32 am »

Hopefully, a future without EA servers isn't too far away!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 14, 2013, 06:15:17 am »

Luckily in SC 4 the circular traffic was just graphical glitches.
Sims are a little dumb in their SC 4 pathfinding, but nowhere near the problems in SC 5

It wasn't a graphical glitch in SC4 though. the count of cars itself would loop, meaning you'd have 4-5K sims using the connections in your city as a loop. not good for your traffic congestion and it also siphoned off workers for jobs IIRC.
Magma is overrated.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1059 on: March 14, 2013, 07:00:37 am »

While I'm not really interested in the 'play offline' thing I would love the mod which removes the ghost citizens. One which adds back in workers you lose by deleting buildings while they're inside would be lovely too.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 14, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »

Comparing DF's pathfinding to SimCity's pathfinding isn't fair.  DF has many more paths and much fewer actors while Sim City has far fewer paths and many more actors.  In any pathfinding algorithm, the more paths you add, you exponentially increase the complexity of the algorithm.  As you add actors to it, you increase it much more linearly.  Therefore 2000 paths with 100 actors is much much harder than 100 paths with 2000 actors.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:15 pm »

While I'm not really interested in the 'play offline' thing I would love the mod which removes the ghost citizens. One which adds back in workers you lose by deleting buildings while they're inside would be lovely too.
Should be easily patchable if you just do a daily census and readd the missing ones.

Comparing DF's pathfinding to SimCity's pathfinding isn't fair.  DF has many more paths and much fewer actors while Sim City has far fewer paths and many more actors.  In any pathfinding algorithm, the more paths you add, you exponentially increase the complexity of the algorithm.  As you add actors to it, you increase it much more linearly.  Therefore 2000 paths with 100 actors is much much harder than 100 paths with 2000 actors.

Not completely lineary though, as each pather has to account for other pathers as well. (Or what they should do in an ideal situation)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 14, 2013, 12:11:46 pm »

this also means that by doing so he is missing out on many of the features which make SimCity a fantastic experience, such as the ability to connect and share resources with friends

Why does this somehow feel EXTREMELY sarcastic? I know it isn't, but it just seems sarcastic.

Sorry but the one thing you share with friends is misery.

This whole affair feels like a clumsily written morality tale, where someone’s unrealistic hubris gets them into trouble

No, this sounds like a tale about a mean troll that everyone keeps feeding because it will "protect the town" that then stomps on the town and no one can stop it.

EA IS NOT PAYING FOR THIS MISTAKE! Stop pretending it is. It already more then made back its money for Sim city 5.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:13:34 pm by Neonivek »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 14, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »

To be fair, dwarves in DF just crouch under eachother whenever they take the same path. It'd be a total disaster if there was "traffic".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:32 pm »

To be fair, dwarves in DF just crouch under eachother whenever they take the same path. It'd be a total disaster if there was "traffic".

Personally I don't know why they didn't just draw paths and have the agents move along those paths instead. SURE it would have been somewhat artificial but it would have worked a lot better.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 98