Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191765 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #990 on: March 12, 2013, 05:23:27 pm »

Maxis Insider Tells RPS: SimCity Servers Not Necessary

Well, there's a surprise.

Quite a lot of other things broken according to a few weblogs.

EA have, hopefully, put the first nail in their coffin.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 12, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »

Waiting with impatience the LAST nail.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 12, 2013, 06:27:27 pm »

Can't wait to see EA's response to that

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 12, 2013, 06:28:26 pm »

Can't wait to see EA's response to that
"That wasn't a real employee, he's lying. This DRM service is very integral to the game."
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 12, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »

Thats what glassbox is about, every single thing you see moving in the city has a destination and a point of origin, you can see crime in real time, police moving from the police station and firing at the criminal, chopper leaving the police station and following a criminal while the cops are stuck in traffic so they can apprehend him later etc.
You could do that by firsty simulating and then showing the accurate results too.
Like :
20 workers getting from A to B ? They take x minutes, send the car, etc.
Instead of "If the car gets there, it means 20workers arrived".

IMO, it would be better the other way than what they did.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:21 pm »

Hm...so I have another city that had about 6k workers when it was at 10k population...then the population slowly grew over time, traffic started to be more and more of an issue and the population is now 50k...but there is only 10k workers so my smelting factories are having issues finding workers as I'm expanding...taxes is also less then twice as much as it was before...so I think its some sort of intentional bottleneck on workers/taxes, because you would think 50k population would have 5x tax income as 10k population...students also only increased by 1.8x...so maybe they disabled or reduced the amount of "true sims" that are added between medium to high density buildings...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 12, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »

Eh youll cry when you will hit 220k population. NOW the traffic will be a pain.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:50 pm »

Eh youll cry when you will hit 220k population. NOW the traffic will be a pain.
oh god. I have a city of 265,000 and I'm struggling with traffic. My streetcar system has a daily ridership of 450,000. My bus system has a ridership of 30,000.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 13, 2013, 02:07:05 am »

Quick! Somebody get EA a new pair of pants!
The ones they are wearing are clearly on fire...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:45 am »

Quick! Somebody get EA a new pair of pants!
The ones they are wearing are clearly on fire...

OHH MY G...

Wait a minute. We knew that a LONG time ago, such as before the game was even released.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:22 am »

Pretty sure they've had nothing but ashes for a while.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:07 am »

Pretty sure they've had nothing but ashes for a while.

Other then my father who doesn't play and modern videogames... No one would be fooled into thinking ANY hook up to the server was needed.

Heck even the idea of "doing the calculation off site" is flawed in large ways when you think about it. That flaw being "Why would anything off server be better at calculating something over the internet with millions of other players then my own computer that doesn't need an internet hookup or to calculate things for anyone but myself?"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:23:25 am by Neonivek »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:39 am »

Good bye, customer confidence.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 13, 2013, 05:02:12 am »

So I caved to peer pressure and hooked myself up with the game, my first impressions on playing it last night are slightly mixed.

On the one hand cities are tiny and missing most of the features from the previous game, a lot of which I miss. The endless talk EA mentioned about how much time and effort went into simulating everything was essentially a waste of their time and resource as the flow and cycle of traffic doesn't feel different from the previous SimCity 4, despite knowing how differently it is calculated, and if that is the reason for the small city areas it was a mistake. Likewise falling back to the old school ceaser/pharaoh style 'walkers' for spreading power, water and health means that you can just be unlucky and have sections without water or 'germy'.

I also felt there was a lack of control with zoning, but that might just be that I'm less used to the roads & happiness (even after 5 hours of play) being the dictator for that. Also there appears to be a heavy drop off in numbers of people that work as your city gets larger, I don't have any hard values but it seemed doubling my population didn't get anything close to doubling my worker pool.

The biggest issues I had were with traffic. Traffic kills cities, as soon as you start getting traffic jams your public transport is screwed and you end up with a spiral as more opt for cars instead. Your emergency services start failing as they can't get anywhere, your industry starts closing as freight is unmoved, your tourist attractions start haemorrhaging money as noone shows up and then people leave, your cash less and have to desperately disable everything in an effort not to fail completely. At least part of that is poor road planning in my part, but it's not helped by the dumb-ass pathing for things that matter. In real life when day in, day out a road is always blocked people change route, and if their expensive complex simulation system can't handle things a basic A* can they need to rethink their goals.

On the other hand, despite everything above, I still spend my whole evening playing it, and I enjoyed it. I think the it helped when I started viewing cities and neighbourhoods and regions as just one big spread out city, but whatever the game is it's fun.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 98